Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Place to Buy Aroids

susanlynne48
18 years ago

I don't know if you have heard of this mail-order retailer, but I just discovered that Brent & Becky's Bulbs sell some alocasias, colocasias, calla lilies, and an amorphophallus called rivieri (never heard of it). I think their prices are darn good - as good if not better than Plant Delights. I have always heard great things about them on the bulb and lily forums. Their website address is www.bbbulbs.com, in case you're interested. If you want to check their reputability out, go to GardenDog Watch.

Susan

Comments (9)

• Bonbon_N_KS
    18 years ago

Hi Susan, I've heard of Brent & Becky's, they have a good reputation. I've been all over their site, can't find the rivieri. (Oops....drooling all over my keyboard) Am I just intelligence impaired this morning?

• Bonbon_N_KS
    18 years ago

To see "riveri" try the link. Anyone order from them, before? (haven't tried gardenwatchdog, yet)

Here is a link that might be useful: Amorphophallus Riveri

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bonnie - it was in their 2005 summer catalog www.bbbulbs.com, click on 2005 summer catalog that is now offline, but will be available in February 2006.

Susan

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bonnie, in the picture you post, it says it is also called A. konjac. I am telling you, these aroid names are confusing when one person calls them something else. Go figure.

Susan

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

I've ordered from Brent and Becky a number of times, and have been very pleased. Had one small problem with this year's order, with one not-an-aroid blooming not true to what it should have been, and got a postcard a couple days ago saying they were shocked to discover one of the bulbs they had planted from that batch wasn't blooming right, and if that happened to me they would refund or replace. I've heard of places refunding or replacing if YOU tell them of a problem, but I can't recall anyone telling ME I might have a problem and to let them know. I was already pleased with them, but now I'm really impressed. And as for the A. rivieri/konjac problem, that's because it was renamed fairly recently, and many places still call it by the old name so people look for it by that name. It's very hard for names to catch up in the trade, in every plant family I can think of (maybe not irises!) I should say also I got a number of aroids from them this spring--can't remember off the top of my head just which--and they were all very healthy and good sized, and I thought the prices were quite reasonable.

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info, GreenElbows, I had no clue it was called that previously. I do know about the nomenclature folks, though. It's like our Oklahoma weather. If you stay around for 5 minutes, it'll change.

Yes, B&B has a good, ethical reputation, not only for aroids (which I didn't even know they sold), but for their lilies and other bulbs.

Susan

• dtpforu
    18 years ago

I've bought from Brent and Becky's several times and have always been VERY please with their service and their bulbs! I usually buy lilies, but have bought some aroids from them also. They usually send me extra lilies to test for them and let me tell you, that is fun!
    Vickie

• razorback33
    18 years ago

Some nonsensical trivia-
    The epithet, konjac(from conj, Amorphophallus tuber), predates(1858) the synonyms: rivieri(1869) and mairei(1914), so, according to the nomenclature police, it would be the correct accepted name for this species. It is one of a dozen or so Amorphophallus species cultivated in China, Japan and tropical Asia as an economic crop, as a food or medicinal source for humans and farm animals. Konjac(or conj) tubers are rich in protein and anima acids and a flour, called konnyaku, made from them, is used in many dietary products. Some edible species of Amorphophallus(and other Aroids) can be obtained at local ethnic food markets in locations where there is a sizeable Asian population.
    Sorry, I don't have a cross reference of botanical vs ethnic common names. Maybe someone will post a few.
    Rb

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

So, you mean I might be able to find a tuber at my local Asian Market down the street? I know you can get a lot of colocasia tubers for cheap, like taro (black EE), and Illustris (it has a rather royal name that I don't recall right now). Also tacca (not an aroid, but beautiful flowers - an annual here).

Susan

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida