Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My EE has become a tree, it's out of control!

Posted by jen26 USDA zone 6/MO (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 30, 06 at 18:27

Hi. Last spring I purchased five Elephant Ear bulbs from Walmart, nothing special, about softball size or smaller. I guess they like my soil, because they are HUGE! The leaves are 24 - 36" or more, and the stalks are taller than me, possibly up to 6'. I had planned on digging the bulbs and bringing them in for the winter, but now I'm afraid that their roots have gotten so big that the digging would disturb neighboring hydrangeas and hosta. How big do the roots typically get? Also, what do you suggest about the management of all the foliage and stems before you dig the bulb. Do you cut it all down? If so, do you wait until after it gets zapped by frost? Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My EE has become a tree, it's out of control!

I got 4 of these babies from walmart this year. They are around 6 ft tall and 2-3ft long leaves. I am not really concerned as I would simply dig them up and even cut the foliage. I had smaller variety last year and dug them up with some roots, cut all the foliage and potted them back. This year I am simply going to dig them up with or without roots and leave them in basement. I have way too many of these.

I went to Korean grocery store and bought Malanga and other varieties for a fraction of cost (approx $1). Even in a worse case scenario, I can start from scratch if I loose these. But I think it will make it in the basement with or without roots.

Ajay

o

I NEVER cut the leaves. The food for the bulb is in the leaves. Best to let the frost kill the leaves, then dig. :) Arum

o

Hi Jen,

Last spring I dug out and moved my EE's from in front of the house because the summer before they grew to seven and a half feet tall and the leaves were huge!. I did not want to dig up the whole bed so I mercilessly choped off the roots and only moved the corm. This year the are over six feet tall in their new bed and the pieces I missed in the old bed are three to four feet tall. Let the leaves die back and then root them out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here