Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikkiv_gw

philodendron relocation help

mikkiV
11 years ago

let me first apologize for being such a NEWBIE! :)

i have been scouring the forums and google for some understanding but being that i am super newbie girl and don't understand the lingo..i am not getting it and what i need to do :)

i have what has been identified as a split-leaf philodendron.

it has been in my life for well over 25 years. It started out in a pot on my mom's porch and at least a decade or more ago roommate planted it in the corner of my small backyard.

It is too close to the fence (especially with all it's snakey-ness) and too top heavy and falling over so i would like to move it to a large pot (a half "whiskey barrel" 25" diameter/17" depth is what i have been looking at) but i don't want to lose her/him.

the trunk is about 5' from ground to green and about 5" in diameter. there is a smaller off-shoot(?) cluster of fronds nearer the base. I have NO idea how deep or spread out the ground roots go...or if the pot i have in mind is even big enough....

my brain says "just put it in the pot" but i have murdered many a plant just "putting it in the pot"

I have seen other posts that say "chop it down and go buy a new one"...that is NOT the course i will take.

thank you for any direction you might be able to provide :)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting