Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

arums - anyone grow these?

susanlynne48
18 years ago

I found an online retailer who sells quite a number of these - or more than I usually see - of different arums; ones I've never seen before:

Arum

Arum concinnatum Leaves spotted gray,spathe pale green with purple margin and white interior. $21.00ea

Arum dioscoridis var. dioscoridis Glossy green leaves and a pale green spathe spotted black-purple. $12.99ea

Arum elongatum Purplish red spathe and spadix 4-6" high, elongating with bright red fruits in fall. $18.00ea

Arum italicum italicum A hardy form with deep green leaves with yellow-green marbling and orange berries $4.00ea

Arum italicum `marmoratum'Ht.15-25cm. Z.4-5. A form with white marbling on green leaves with red fruits $9.99ea

Arum maculatum Lords and Ladies Cuckoo Pint. Spathe white, leaves are green spotted brownish purple.Ht.10". $9.99ea

Arum purpureospathum Ht. 25-50cm Z 8. A species from Crete with dark purple spathe and spadix. Like most Arums the leaves emerge in the fall, bloom in spring and fruit with orange red berries in summer to fall. $18.00ea

Arum rupicola Spathe long and narrow, exterior pale green stained purple, interior purplish, spadix yellow. 15-24" $26.00ea

It's called Thimble Farms. Has anyone ever heard of them? Think I'll check out Garden Watchdog. I'd like to try some of these.

Susan

Comments (19)

• User
    18 years ago

Well crap, Susan! What's the name of the retailer so we can go look at their pics?

Lynn

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lynn, I included the retailer name, it's Thimble Farms. The website address is www.thimblefarms.com. No pics, I'm afraid. I checked them out on Garden Watchdog, and out of 9 responses, 2 were negative. They are in Canada, but they have so many listed, I still think I will try to order some in spring. I was hoping that ARUM would reply, since apparently his/her name implies an interest in arums. Anyway, at the very least, it is an interesting journey through their plant list.

Susan

• User
    18 years ago

My secret's out- poor attention to detail! Thanks, Susan- too bad there aren't pics!

• keiko2
    18 years ago

Hi again Susan,
    You should only order Arum tubers for autumn delivery. They go dormant from late May to mid-October here. Spring shipped tubers usually don't have time to grow and store enough energy for their natural dormant season. I don't think there is anything you can do to change this schedule.

I plant mine out as soon as it cools off and starts raining regularly in October. A. pictum and italicum 'Marmoratum' make nice winter foliage plants although they may be temporarily frozen back to the ground in late December & January.They would really rather be in San Francisco than Dallas or OKC, but do well and increase as long as you keep them warm and dry during the dormant period from June through mid-October. Best to dig them up and store in the garage during the summer.

Keiko

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No problem keeping them warm, but I tend to water everything around my italicum, so probably have overwatered it. Would they be all right in pots during their active season in my zone? Says they're hardy to zones 4 and 5. That way, I could avoid watering in dormant season and just leave the pots outside?

Susan

• keiko2
    18 years ago

Hi Susan,
    I've never actually tried to grow these in pots. While rated hardy to z5, in the ground they will often wilt on a cold winter night ( below 20F?) here in Dallas and then straighten back up as if nothing happened as the weather warms. They just have a brief setback when the foliage is frozen back to the ground during extreme cold (10-12F?)
    Most of the time they would be fine left in the ground while dormant with no more water than the lawn gets, but getting soggy at 100F after a flooding rain will probably make them rot.

Keiko

• User
    18 years ago

Susan,

Here's an idea- put them in the ground in a pot and trade that pot out in the summer with an identical pot with some sort of annual or other plant in it. That way you can be sure it gets enough water during it's growing season and you can pull it out and set it aside during the summer, but you'll have a pot to fill the hole with. Also will make it really easy to divide!

I'm thinking to try this rotation with callas/ hostas. I'm hoping having the hostas out of the ground during the winter will give them the chill for dormancy they so desire.

Lynn

• kwoods
    18 years ago

Telos rare bulbs may have some that are on your list. So does hillkeep nursery. My experience w/ these two sources has been positive and they may be cheaper.

If anyone has additional sources for Arum I would love to hear them.

Good luck!

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Keiko, my arum italicum did fine last winter in the ground, and we had horrible rains in the late fall and winter. It had one leaf, but that leaf stayed up the entire time. I try to tell everyone that my backyard is a sort of microclimate, but no one believes me! It doesn't hurt either that I had it planted close to the fence line (wood fence), and usually it doesn't get too soaked in that area.

Lynn, I like your idea. Now, I just have to figure out what to switch it with - maybe a very small hosta, like kabitan. I have a few hostas, but I don't know if they will winter over in your zone - it's pretty tropical. Have you researched it? You could also go on the hosta forum and check it out. It is probably one of THE most active forums here, and I had many questions answered.

Kwoods - I'll let you know if I find any more sites. Oh, and happy belated birthday!

Susan

• User
    18 years ago

Susan,

I have researched it. I have a list of five Hostas that not only tolerate the heat but also require a shorter dormancy period. A shorter dormancy period means it would require less cold to come back strong in the spring. My hope is that if I put it in a pot in an exposed location in the winter, it might get chilled enough. And I also have a slightly cooler than normal microclimate for it to be in during the warm months, now I just have to get my hands on some next spring.

I think I can, I think I can....LOL

Lynn

• krazyaroider
    18 years ago

Hello all,
    I have some Arums along with other Aroids.
    Check out senecahill.com;arrowheadalpines.com,they have some Arums.
    These companies are in the USA, unlike Thimble farms and Pacific Rim that are Canadian. I have a problem with the Canadian mail order nurseries only because they require your SOCIAL SECURITY number for international shipping!
    Read their shipping policy to the US! Possbly nothing will happen, but it is better to be safe than sorry! Just read some good articles on identity theft and you will have second thoughts! I guarantee the costs of rectifying Identity theft will cost alot more than ordering some highly desirable plants!
    I have the fine book by Peter Boyce "The Genus Arum", plus I am building up a population of Arums and one that I am looking for from an US source is Arum rupicola var. rupicola.
    I unfortunately, am a beginner with Arums
    (Fall 2004) so I cannot at the present time, offer any Arums for trade, etc.
    Cheerios ;-) KA

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have a fraud alert on my account anyway, because the stupid medical insurance company we subscribe to (at work), had all their computers stolen. Well, not all, but enough that they sent out a warning. Don't know if that helps on identity theft or not. You're right, though, if they want my SSN, I'd rather not order from them. I'll check out your other sites, and thanks KA. Ta Ta!

Lynn, I'm curious - which hosta have you decided to get?

I think one of the earliest in my yard is albo-marginata. Also, Sum & Substance. But it's HUGE!

Susan

• User
    18 years ago

Susan,

These are the 5 I'm planning on

diamond tiara
    golden tiara
    honey bells
    invincible
    sugar and cream

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have Honey Bells, and it is the last to break dormancy in spring. The added plus is that the flowers are fragrant. The only advice I would give is to stay away from the blues. They suffer the most from heat. I have Blue Angel (grows to about 5' x 5') and Frances Williams (blue and gold). They are the first to get ratty in the summer due to our extreme heat.

Other than that, your list looks good.

Susan

• User
    18 years ago

Susan,

I know to stay away from the blues, but I am disappointed about your experience with honey bells. I have read it doesn't require a long dormancy- I will strike it from list.

Lynn

• krazyaroider
    18 years ago

Hostas?????
    How did Hostas get on an Arum disscussion?
    Shouldn't this discussion be on the Hosta forum as I look on this discussion for information on Arums!
    Cheerios :-(
    KA

• User
    18 years ago

KA,

Wow!!!!!
    Wouldn't be the first time a thread took a turn, won't be the last....

Relax :-)

Lynn

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry, KA - didn't mean to confuse anyone or get OT.

Susan

• krazyaroider
    18 years ago

All is forgiven!!!!!
    KA