Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asleep_in_the_garden

what kind of arum is this?

It's just like a wapato only it's not an arrowhead. Only difference is that it's leaves taper back down at the petiole.

Any leads?

Comments (10)

• krazyaroider
    18 years ago

Any pics?
    Much more details needed!
    I can look in my copy of "The Genus Arum" by Peter Boyce in order to help ID this Arum.
    Cheerios ;-)
    KA

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

{{gwi:391019}}

The flowers look like this but it's NOT a wapato. At least the leaves arent arowhead shaped. In all other ways it looks exactly like one.

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

I don't think that's an aroid. My understanding is that all aroids have some variation on the spathe and spadix form for the inflorescence. (I started to say 'blossoms' but while your picture shows 'blossoms' the actual 'flowers' on an aroid are little things on the spadix.) You might try the 'Name that Plant' forum if you don't get an answer here; those folks are really amazing!

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Almost looks like a trillium to me.

Susan

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

I pointed this out to my son, who just moved here from Seattle. He pulled out his 'Flora of the Pacific Northwest', and it appears this may be the 'arum-leaved Sagittaria', S. cuneata. So it's possibly 'almost' an arum!

• raymikematt
    18 years ago

Alot of Sagittaria have saggitate leaves...hence the name. Not an Aroid but a great, Aroid-looking genus nontheless.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

{{gwi:391020}}

Yep! That's it!

THANK YOU!!!

Pity it's not an aroid though.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay,now for the next question. Think this thing will be okay fully submerged in my kiddiepool?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've got the answer to my question now. It seems that when you fully submerge this creature it sloughs it's "above water" leaves in order to grow an entirely new set that appear far more straplike and looks strangely like something one might purchase at an aquarium shop.

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

I'm so glad you posted this follow-up! It's nice to hear how things work out.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths