Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what kind of arum is this?

Posted by Asleep_in_the_Garden (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 9, 05 at 19:27

It's just like a wapato only it's not an arrowhead. Only difference is that it's leaves taper back down at the petiole.

Any leads?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what kind of arum is this?

Any pics?
Much more details needed!
I can look in my copy of "The Genus Arum" by Peter Boyce in order to help ID this Arum.
Cheerios ;-)
KA

o

The flowers look like this but it's NOT a wapato. At least the leaves arent arowhead shaped. In all other ways it looks exactly like one.

o

I don't think that's an aroid. My understanding is that all aroids have some variation on the spathe and spadix form for the inflorescence. (I started to say 'blossoms' but while your picture shows 'blossoms' the actual 'flowers' on an aroid are little things on the spadix.) You might try the 'Name that Plant' forum if you don't get an answer here; those folks are really amazing!

o

Almost looks like a trillium to me.

Susan

o

I pointed this out to my son, who just moved here from Seattle. He pulled out his 'Flora of the Pacific Northwest', and it appears this may be the 'arum-leaved Sagittaria', S. cuneata. So it's possibly 'almost' an arum!

o

Alot of Sagittaria have saggitate leaves...hence the name. Not an Aroid but a great, Aroid-looking genus nontheless.

o

Yep! That's it!

THANK YOU!!!

Pity it's not an aroid though.

o

Okay,now for the next question. Think this thing will be okay fully submerged in my kiddiepool?

o
Update

I've got the answer to my question now. It seems that when you fully submerge this creature it sloughs it's "above water" leaves in order to grow an entirely new set that appear far more straplike and looks strangely like something one might purchase at an aquarium shop.

o

I'm so glad you posted this follow-up! It's nice to hear how things work out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here