Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19692433

Questions re Colocasia Royal Hawaiian

User
10 years ago

Hi all!
I am new to EE and have never owned one. I have this black EE in a giant pot dug into a hill by my pond. My soil is terrible, that is why the pot.
Anyway, I saw this on my EE today, I thought it was going to be a stem, but it doesn't look like one.
What is it?
And should I bring it in for the winter? or can I leave it outside mulched? The pot is dug into the ground.
But, it will be dry for the EE if I leave it out, right?
Will it go dormant and not require more water?
Would you bring it in?
Here is this thing
{{gwi:391082}}

{{gwi:391086}}

Comments (7)

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

It's starting to flower. What you can see is the spathe which is a sheath surrounding a central column called the spadix. The spadix has male and female flowers along it, quite small ones. The spathe should open out a bit to allow pollinating insects to get inside.

They don't like the cold but can survive cold climates if they're insulated enough. Don't know how cold it gets where you are but a lot of people do dig them out and store in a cool (but not cold) place. Some will keep them in a pot indoors where they keep growing. So outdoors if the ground stays dry they can be okay provided cold water doesn't seep through to them. Dry soil is a good insulator.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tropic,
    Thank you very much for your response.
    I really like this EE so I think I might just bring it in for the winter. It will be dry inside the house from the heater, but I am afraid it will die outside.
    Average temps during winter at night is a little bit below freezing, that is cold to us. Average daytime temp is around 58-60 usually Jan, Feb and then March spring comes.
    I am afraid I won't be able to keep it real dry, and it might rot. So, I will bring it inside. It's very big, LOL and hubby will just have to share the space.
    Thanks again.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Probably the best idea, better to be safe and sure. I like the colour on that spathe. Most of my Colocasias are yellow. That would make a nice change. Although, my black one hasn't flowered yet. Maybe it will be different.

• grabmebymyhandle
    10 years ago

Looks like black coral or diamindhead, the blush blooms are pretty neat!

You've done well to a flower in one season.
    It would likely be hardy in your area but not in a pot, they need to be well established in the ground early in the season to really be hardy.
    Just stop watering as it cools off, by the time night lows are near 50 you will notice your plant falling apart, yellowing and not growing, clean its leaves off, drag it in and stash it in a garage or closet, basement or under the sink, and just forget it til warm weather is here, I start a month before last frost, that way they break dormancy and are ready to go when it's time to get em in the ground!

Here's my diamondhead, planted with Elena, or red eye gecko, I'm not 100% sure.
    I started with one small tuber in may 2012, this year I propagated it out into 47 plants! Some are bigger than the pictured plant which is over 4'

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Just a quick tip: take all of your pictures in landscape mode, bottom of camera to the right, and you will never have orientation issues. :)

• christine1950
    10 years ago

I cant wait to see it flower, I've never had one bloom. How exciting...

• grabmebymyhandle
    10 years ago

They generally are rather dull by most people's standards but I think the blooms on diamondhead are fantastic.
    Yellow blushed with purple, I can't think of anything else quite like it, I haven't flowered out a black coral, I bet it's nice too!
    Most of mine are gearing up to bloom, but some are well underway!

This post was edited by grabmebymyhandle on Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 18:26

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County