Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clibanarius

Rhaphidophora cryptantha arrived!

clibanarius
15 years ago

...and I'm thinking aroideana wasn't exaggerating its vigor!

Here's what it looks like today:

{{gwi:391111}}

What impresses me is the last inch or two of the stems, which are white and virtually chlorophyll-free. If I'm not mistaken, this represents the growth this plant put on since it was packed in a dark box and shipped -- 3 days ago!

Cheers,

Alan

Comments (10)

• aroideana
    15 years ago

Alan , very impressive , now you just have to get it established on a suitable mount . With three stems , you could try 3 different types .. cork , hardwood , and coir maybe ??? Good growing .

• bihai
    15 years ago

I have one growing over a rock. They are lots of fun.

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    Is this one of those species often called "shingle plants"
    Many years ago there was a nursery in Boynton Beach .Among the many botanical wonders he had growing was
    a " New Guinea shingle plant" The remarkable thing about it was the leaves were red with black stripes .Overlapped much like shingles on a roof . The effect was breathtaking lol. Unfortuneately , I never got any info . Feel certain it was a Rhaphidophora but have never found it . I want one for my new seep wall but all I can find are the green types. Anyone know about this??? gary

• clibanarius
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A rock? How big are the leaves?

The white stems are now not quite as green as the rest of the stems, but they're getting there; no further growth that I can see, though. I'm wondering if the growing tips have been damaged, which would slow things down a bit.

I've only just learned about shingle plants myself, so I'm not familiar with all the different species. Haven't come across one with black-striped red leaves; I'd remember that!

Cheers,

Alan

• bihai
    15 years ago

I have a few species of Rhaphidophora that don't shingle: hongkongensis, which will adhere to the mount but the leaves don't really overlap, pachyphylla which has tiny leaves and does the same, decursiva which looks like a big weird philodendron, and tetrasperma (also called climbing dwarf monstera 'Ginny').

The ones that I have that truly shingle are korthalsii and cryptantha.

The only other species of plant that I am aware of that you can actually buy at times if you are lucky enough to stumble into them somewhere from a collector are the Marcgravias.

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Bihai
    Thanks for that info. At least I have some idea what to look for. The red and black form I saw was so striking .He had it growing up a modified trellis along with about a dozen other species of plants. In his younger days he had done some collecting on his own in New Guinea. He had a bunch of stuff I've never seen anywhere else.
    Unfortuneately he passed away. They put condos on his GH and his kids sold the business .
    Sure wish I'd asked him the latin name ,
    Thanks again gary

• bihai
    15 years ago

This is my R. korthalsii. Its been on this totem for a while now (over a year). I has made a side branch or 2 that are going over directly onto the wall of the greenhouse
    {{gwi:391112}}

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    6 years ago

I recently got one of this amazing plant.

• tropicbreezent
    6 years ago

Lucky you. I'd like to get one but have never seen them anywhere in nurseries.

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    6 years ago

This is the first time I saw this plant. The nursery at that time have 3 cutting, I bought the biggest one .

Sponsored