Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konjacking

Picture of my Konjac ' Knightstick'

konjacking
18 years ago

Hello

Just thoughjt Id post a picture of my Konjac Nightstick. It is about one of my most favorite ones! I just love the dark purple/ black it has!

David

{{gwi:389089}}

Comments (20)

• konjacking
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ok yea and this is a picture taken today of Big MOMMA KONJAC!

{{gwi:391127}}

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

Hi David,

Do you find that 'nightstick' is not as tall as the standard form....or 'Leo's Song' for that matter?? My 'nightstick' is a much smaller plant for the same size tuber.....I've got a maybe 5 pound tuber that produced a rather unimpressive plant......the leaf canopy is much fuller on this variant though in my hands.....'Leo's Song' has a finer canopy than the regular in my hands.....'Leo's Song' is my favorite I think.....If the one I posted in the gallery would produce the yellow variegation throughout the plant then that would be my new favorite.....and big money maker.....we can always dream!!!! Nice plants :o) Dan

• konjacking
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dan,
    I'd say that yes, night stick is more compact than Konjac or Leo's song. So far I like Leo's song also... But I just love the all black stemm on Nightstick... if it would only grow as nicely as Konjac or Leo's song! Nightstick is a nice size plant though this year for a tuber that only was like 2.75" thhis year.
    David

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

I LOVE THIS AMORPH! Where can I get one, and is it as hardy as A. konjac? Was this a sport of konjac?

Your plant is gorgeous, David, and your photos as well. I am assuming it has not bloomed yet?

Susan

• konjacking
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Susan,
    I bought my "Knightstick" on ebay two or three years ago. I may put one or two there this fall or next spring. its hardy so far but a bit slower growing and stays more compact as I can tell! I love the egg plant color!
    David

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Will you give me a first right of refusal on it?

Susan

• konjacking
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Susan,
    If I sell one, I will put up it up for auction so anyone has a fare share at a bid! It sure is a beautiful plant!
    David

• plantfreak
    18 years ago

I agree, it is beautiful but the name is a little daunting! PF

• Bryan Lampl
    18 years ago

If you can be tempted, I have other species of Amorphophallus that I would be willing to trade for an offset of your 'nightstick'.

• konjacking
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well Dirtface! that may always work! what ones do you have?

• count_d
    18 years ago

I have Sauromatum Venosum and Amorphophallus Dunnii to trade with you, if you're interested.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

...and wow, the new girl gets thrown in the dirt.....having nothing mature enough to trade yet, and no amorphs yet at all.

Sorry....I'm in a bit of a bad place tonight....for medical reasons.

Susan

• Bryan Lampl
    18 years ago

please see for yourself, maybe you have seen my website. Some things not listed on my trades page may became available later as plants go dormant.

Here is a link that might be useful: amorphophallus

• konjacking
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dirtface,
    I have those so I guess I'm all set.
    David

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

This plant was originally produced by Tony Avent at PDN for all of those who are unaware of it. I believe it was a naturally occuring variant as many konjac have a lot of this color in their petioles, but please do not quote me on that aspect of it! It is a shame that this info gets lost so easily since the people that originated the variant surely deserve the credit for it. Unfortunately, for some reason Tony does not sell it on his site anymore....not sure why. The flower is identical to the standard form, but the plant does not get as big (for me), although the leaf canopy is much denser (on mine). These are really very common and should be had for only a few bucks on ebay if it is only a small 2 inch tuber. I got my original one free a few years ago from a guy that used to post here a fair bit, but I've not heard from him in quite awhile so not sure what he is doing. I do know that he had hundreds of this one and Leo's Song. You should check with Glasshouse Works as they sell Leo's Song and have for many years and may also sell 'Nightstick', although I do not know for sure. Do a bit of searching.....it is not a rare variant by any stretch of the imagination :o) Dan

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

I ordered for the first time (after many years) from Glasshouse Works, the 1st of July and still have not got my order. I have heard that they wait until they have an order to propagate the plants specifically ordered. I know that they have a lot of different begonia species and cultivars, and that's where a lot of us used to order from. But, geez, it's taking forever. I need to check the status again.

Susan

• count_d
    18 years ago

Glasshouse Works are the worst plant company I've ever dealt with. They take all your details, but don't deliver the plant or reply to emails.

I would avoid the hassle if I were you.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

I know, but they had some things I really, really wanted. I think most peoples' complaints are that they take so long to deliver. But, they work differently than other mail-order nurseries. They propagate AFTER they get the order, so it takes about 6-8 weeks to get your order. I was kind of timing it so I could do a fall planting.

Susan

• cactusfreak
    18 years ago

What did you order?
    I've never took the chance on them.
    Whatever usually shows up somewhere else eventually.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Well, I didn't spend much, thank goodness, but they had a gold-veined forsythia that I really wanted, and that's about all I recall right now because my list is at the office.

Actually, they do have a lot of things you cannot get elsewhere, like their begonia collection for one. I used to order begonias from them, and while they are always small plants, they were very nice, hard-to-find, ones.

I did not order an aroids from them.

Susan

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz