Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Germinating Dracunculus vulgaris seeds

karyn1
17 years ago

My DV seeds are ripe. The seeds had fallen all over the ground so I washed off the pulp (very smelly by the way). Now what do I do with the seeds? Should they be planted immediately? Do I need to soak them or nick the seed coat? How long do they take to germinate and can I just put them in a tray of vermiculite?

Karyn

Comments (14)

• temporal-joe
    9 years ago

Karyn
    I have the same questions. Has anybody responded or have you found out from doing it?

Thanks
    Joe

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Looks like she posted near three weeks ago.

Wonder what she decided and how it went.

• temporal-joe
    9 years ago

That post was 8 years and 3 weeks ago. I only "responded" in the off hope that she or somebody else might see my post.

:)
    Joe

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Wow,Joe,..appreciate you pointing that out. How did I miss that?!! lol

My experience with aroid seeds is limited to aglaonemas for now,but I imagine the same tricks/techniques would apply.

Remove berry pulp and put the seeds in a tupperware or ziplock with a little moisture inside,and keep someplace warm. Check on them every other day or so for signs of germination,and when you see the start of a green point emerging,gently place them on top of the medium in an appropriate sized container. I usually use the "cells" I'd cut out of one of those seed starting kits you find at big box stores. Then place the individual cells into a terrarium or some kind of humidity trap and seal it. Soon the roots will start emerging and get a hold of the mix. Keep them in the cells until sufficiently root bound to pot up to a three or four inch pot.

I'm guessing this would work with any aroid type berry,but as stated,at the moment my experience is limited to just ags,

What experimentation have you been up to?
    Inquiring minds and all that. :)

• temporal-joe
    9 years ago

This is my first time trying any kind of aroid from seed so it's all new for me. I've got the dracunculus and a few amorphophallus and arisaema seeds that I'm trying.

That sounds similar to how I've started palm seeds. I'll try them like that. At the moment the dracunculus are soaking (I've read that soaking them for at least a day helps) and the others are in compost lightly covered and lightly moist in a warm room.

Thanks

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Keep us updated if you would.

Perhaps this thread could be used to document your progress. :)

• temporal-joe
    9 years ago

Ok. I will.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Thanks much.

Looking forward to it. :)

• temporal-joe
    9 years ago

First entry. After about 36 hours of soaking, about half the seeds are planted, barely covered, on moist compost. The rest are in a plastic baggy with a moistened piece of paper to keep them moist but not directly in water.
    Today's date is marked in the heading of the post so there is no question.

Wish me luck

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

May fortune follow!

• temporal-joe
    9 years ago

I've had a thought. Since they are hardy here (temperate climate) maybe they need a stratification period. So I put some in the fridge. I'll give them about 6 weeks of chill then see how they do.

• geoforce
    9 years ago

I just leave them on the ground or turn them in slightly ( 1/2" or so) some sprout and some don't. Not a problem as they multiply by offsets also so they stick around and clump up pretty good.

• dellis326 (Danny)
    9 years ago

Never had Dracunculus vulgaris but I've had both Sauromatum (Typhonium) venosum and Arisaema triphyllum drop berries in my garden outdoors and they germinated the next spring without any tending to at all.

Outside, I'm guessing, there are insects that will eat the meat off the berry and leave the seed.

• rredbbeard
    6 years ago

If you're still following this thread, how'd you do with the seeds? I ask because I was given a number of drac berries, which I have fermented and removed the flesh from, and I'm wondering if I can plant seeds outside here in zone 6B? The lowest temperature I've ever seen here was -10°F. I managed to get a few corms/tubers of this last fall, and i thought i was doing well by them, keeping them barely damp, dormant in pots in a cool area, but they didnt survive. I'm considering stratifying some of the seeds over the winter, in pots buried several inches deep outdoors. Would this be a bad idea? I look forward to your comments!I

Sponsored