Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jardinerowa

digging up amorphophallus konjac after petiole dies

jardinerowa
9 years ago

Hello!

I am just wondering if it's OK if I dig up the konjac once the leaf dies or if I need to leave it in the ground longer to grow a bigger tuber. I guess I'm wondering if the tuber continues to grow underground after the leaf dies. Thanks!

Z

Comments (7)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

If the leaf has died go ahead and dig it up. I wait until my leaf stalk flops over, usually this happens in the fall when colder air arrives. I dig them up, clean them off and let them dry off for about a week outside then do a final cleaning of the corm and bring them in.

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

The tuber gets the last of the nutrients out of the leaf before it withers. So once the leaf dries that's the end of it and it can be taken off. Konjacs are best stored dry.

• jardinerowa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys for the tips. Just so you know, my biggest konjac is going dry and it's just now Aug and HOT here in Tijuana/San Diego. It's been in full sun for a couple months and I think that's why it is going dormant earlier than my other konjacs that are in more shady areas.

Z

• plantfreak1
    9 years ago

I am having the same issue with the leaves going yellow and drying out. Is it possible they could be going into summer dormancy? I thought they went dormant in the fall. But if I am correct konjac likes cooler temperatures. I water them once a week and fertilize when it crosses my mind. It still gets over 100F here everyday. Perhaps they go dormant when they have extended temperature extremes either way??

Any advice?
    Thanks in advance!

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

Is it growing in full Sun or bright shade? They seem to like early morning Sun then bright shade the rest of the day. Are you feeding it? If so how frequently?

• plantfreak1
    9 years ago

Bright shade in the morning with afternoon sun. And I can't move it to the other side of the house.

As for fertilizing i would say about once a month. The fertilizer is never the same. I use different fertilizers for a variety of nutrients. Usually at 1/4-1/2 strength. I avoid the high nitrogen fertilizers however.

There are several plants in the same pot. The shorter ones are still lush and green while the taller ones are taking the most of the sun. They were doing just fine untill recently. And I haven't done anything different.

Some other information that might help: They have an inch deep covering of mulch and the pot is about 18 inch diameter and 2 feet tall.

Thanks.

• jardinerowa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am getting the idea that the more sun that the konjac has, the quicker it goes dormant. The konjacs I have in mostly shade with some sun are definitely lasting longer. How this affects the tuber size I don't know, but I will find out when I dig up my biggest konjac in a few days.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville