Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bihai

Colocasia 'Yellow Splash' and Xanthosoma saggitifolia variegata

bihai
18 years ago

I have 3 of these plants.

One was a division given to me by a friend. Her plant is extremely highly variegated....almost every leaf comes out variegated. My division is 2 years old and has yet to produce even ONE variegated leaf.

Plant #2 was a trade that was small and had about 4 leaves, one of which had a teensy weensy little bit of yellow on one leaf. Its much bigger now but has also never put out anymore yellow spalshed leaves

Plant #3 I got from a local nursery. It was a 3 gal very full pot with 5-6 leads in it. Many variegated leaves, but also many plain green ones

What gives with the variegation on this plant? It doesn't seem very stable. Should I remove all the plain green leads as they come out to encourage the variegated ones? Should I alter the soil pH?

Second plant: Xanthosoma saggitifolia variegata

(NOT Xanthosoma atrovirens albo marginata Mickey Mouse)

I got some of this plant recently in a trade, its LOVELY. Is anyone else growing it? How big does it get? My regular X. sag gets about 8-9 ft tall with leaves 4-5 ft long and 3-4 ft wide. Will this one get that big?

Comments (4)

• User
    18 years ago

Gosh Bihai, I don't have the Yellow Splash but my friend does and hers has great variegation. Makes you wonder if it's one of those awful plants that too far down the line will lose the variegation. I have a stuttgart canna, I have no doubt it's genuine, but no variegation- I'm hoping it's pups will have. I have heard that it does that- puts out some tubers that are just the green plant. :-(
    Good luck with yours!

Lynn

• keiko2
    18 years ago

Bihai,
    Both too much nitrogen and too low a light level can cause Yellow Splash to lose its variegation but the variegation will return when this is corrected. Plants will be smaller but have the best color when grown lean. The green runners are genetically identical to the variegated ones and should develop variegated leaves if you don't over feed them.

Keiko

• etropicals
    18 years ago

I have Xanthosoma saggitifolia variegata and has produced little growth for me. Even though I live in Zone 10 (Miami, FL) Where the climate is perfect for growing aroids. I have had it for almost 2 years, I realize that the growth will be somewhat slower due to the variegation but this guy really likes to take his time. I even tried planting it in the ground to see if it would "take off" but it has still been a real slow grower. Hows yours doing???

• bihai
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Keiko2,
    I am growing one in my natural bog (read standing water after Hurricanes Frances and Jeanne) and it is in full sun and never gets any fertilizer and it has the variegation on perhaps 75% of the leaves.

The other is in full sun in a container in a container pond and never gets fertilized either and has NO variegation

The third is in half day sun and DOES get fertilized and also has no variegation. I will quit fertilizing that one and see what happens! Thanks!

etropicals, I only got my variegated X's about a month ago, 3 small plants, but one has already produced an additional 3 offsets and more than doubled in size and had to be stepped up from a 1 gal to a 3 gal container. I think I will keep them containerized over the winter and perhaps plant one out next spring. This plant seems pretty rare, do you know where it originaled from? Is it a natural variegation or did someone hybridize it?

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert