Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

My first elephant ears

kimcoco
15 years ago

I'm posting this on the container gardening forum as well.

I just purchased an elephant ear plant today from Menards. It's actually a combo with caladium.

I've never had elephant ears before, but I think the type I have is Alocasia Odora - light green, upright leaves.

They stand maybe up to mid-thigh including the container, but I'd love to have them larger by next spring. I have them in my urns up in front of my house (faces east with a large maple overhead, so mid-morning sun only).

I gave them a good dose of fertilizer.

Since I'm in zone 5, when do I bring these inside, and how do I overwinter?

I do have a plant light, should I keep under a plant light for the winter or do they need to go dormant?

Are these toxic to cats?

Comments (3)

• chris_e_uk
    15 years ago

They dont have to be in gigantic pots to do well, a fairly large pot maybe between 15/20 inches diameter should be fine until you can see it is very pot-bound. Just bring indoors in winter before ANY frost and grow-on as houseplants somewhere near awindow but dont water too much in winter time, just barely moist.

• cheerpeople
    15 years ago

Cant see a pic if you included one.
    I am in zone 5.
    Here is what you can do.
    You can keep it as a neat houseplant, moist not wet, it will put out a leaf or two then just hang on- by Jan. they look pretty sorry as even with Bayer system and other pesticides, I can't seem to keep the spider mites from sucking on them.
    They stop pushing bigger leaves and start pushing smaller and smaller ones.

I used to think a S exposure in the house was best, but I think less light now is better.

I've also found that they overwinter barerooted on a shelf in my cool basement. Or even potted, in front of a tiny dim basement window with 1-2 waterings all winter ( if potted)

I'm not putting any in as houseplants this year. They are going into the basement. I have enough other plants to bring in that need the windows, and like I said, after Christmas, they aren't as full of vigor for the next 5-6 months anyway.
    {{gwi:391185}}

Here's a pic from last December. The newest leaf is the smallest and shortest by then.

Karen

• angsaidso
    15 years ago

Hi there kimcoco! Welcome to your first Ear! Be careful! They get addicting and crazy! I also live in zone five and have had to bring all of mine inside for the winter now. All 70 varieties!!! I have a house FULL of ears .. they are everywhere! I love them! They seem to be fine as long as you don't over water them, but they do need some. Mine are still pushing some mighty BIG ears! I have Xanthosomas in a westerly window and they are wanting to grow to the ceiling! They do slow down in winter, but still put on a good pretty show to help beat those winter "everything outside is dead" blahs. I use grow lights on the ones in the dining room and have had great luck. So far they all look fabulous including my zebrinas, reticulatas and the "nonexistent" tigrina. >> All of my ears seem happy! Good luck and get in touch if you ever want to talk "ears". I love mine ... best group of plants I've ever owned! But we need to form a support group for those of us too addicted to know what is good for us! >> Peace ~ Ang

Sponsored