Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
alocasia macrorrhiza calcium oxalate

Posted by houstonpat 9a (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 23:10

I learned a painful lesson. I was cutting back a big clump of this stuff in my backyard Saturday. I never wear gloves. I consider myself a big old tough guy. After throwing a few armloads of Elephant ear into the trash I started ripping out Wandering Jew nearby. I don't know what kinda toxic mess my hand got into, but it felt like I'd shoved my hand into a nest of Fire Ants. I rinsed with the hose, then washed with soap & water, then rubbed with alcohol. Nothing dented the stinging pain. Not unbareable, but certainly very unpleasant. A hot shower helped a bit. Still stung a bit in the morning.
Be advised if you have this or these plants.

Photo below is of seed pod last year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: alocasia macrorrhiza calcium oxalate

Aroids (and many other plants) contain calcium oxalate crystals as a defense mechanism. The crystals are needle like and penetrate tissue allowing accompanying toxic substances to enter. We might have the upper hand, but we can't have it all ways. They will fight back!

o
RE: alocasia macrorrhiza calcium oxalate

Your not the first to learn this experience!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here