Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meconostigma Philo pics

Posted by asj2004 z5 NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 26, 05 at 1:21

For those who also like the robust, arborescent Philos called Meconostigmas, I have quite a few pics from the Miami trip up at the Meconostigma website...just click on the 2005/9/26 links in the page below...

Here is a link that might be useful: Meconostigma aroids

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meconostigma Philo pics

Looks good, I'm always a sucker for some eye candy.

o

Beautiful, asj! I'm a newbie - are all philos meconostigmas? And what is the definition? Guess I can look it up. I'm trying to find some good literature on aroids or arisaema, but I'm not having much luck.

Susan

o

Meconostigma is one of three subgenera of philodendrons. Basically the big ones with the beautiful leaf scars on their stems that can grow to be like small trees. For a more technical explanation, you might want to see:

http://www.aroid.org/genera/Philodendron/Keysubgphi.htm

... there are many gems hidden on aroid.org under the genera directory ...

I've heard rumors that there might be one more sub-genus broken out of Philodendron soon for the ones that crawl along the ground ( like P. plowmanii, P. gloriosum, etc. )

--Albert

Here is a link that might be useful: Genera of Araceae

o

How many species are in this group ?
I am trying to find the name of one a mate has with very fine pinnate leaves ,, he thought it was P. ridleyi ..
IT COULD BE A HYBRID , but man is it nice . This guy really knows his plants and pollination as he has done many hybrids within this group , but a lot of his knowledge is based on the old Tropica & Exotica books with many incorrect names . I have checked the 'blueboard' and wondered if that is a complete list of species .. or just what is available to photgraph in USA .

o

There are currently 19 species in this group:
http://www.blueboard.com/pahatan/pelukisan.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: List of Meconostigma Species

o

hi guys Im Marion a newbie at this forum..I love the photos can anyone tell me where I can purchase the african fantasy

o

You may be able to order some from LariAnn.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aroidia Research

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here