Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebonsai101

Amorphophallus thaiensis just bloomed!!!

bluebonsai101
18 years ago

Well, my Amorphophallus thaiensis just bloomed a day ago. Sort of out of sync I guess!!! I was not sure of the speices when I got it, but thought it was krausei.....turned out to be thaiensis as IDed by Wilbert himself. I posted a pic in the gallery :o) Dan

Comments (8)

• hyperating
    18 years ago

Dan,

Mine just finished blooming as well. The inflorescence was about 14" tall, and I just cut it off as it has started to droop. I'm hoping to get tit ready for dormancy as the rest of my collection is headed that way. I've also got two giant form paeoniifolius that have just sent up their petioles for the season. (about four feet tall) They'll probably get a month more to grow before the temps make the retreat.

• krazyaroider
    18 years ago

Gentlemen,
    To answer your questions regarding the bloom of A. thaiensis, I quote the Fall catalog of Plant Delights: This unusual fall flowering species is complimented in September with a 10" tall stalk topped with a greenish - pink spathe.
    I recently ordered and recieved A. thaiensis and A yuloensis from PDN and will be growing these small plants for the remainder of this growing season.
    That is all I know about these two Amorphs.
    Cheers ;-) KA

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi KA,

Yes, that is true, but mine did not grow a petiole this summer so it is simply out of sync!! PDN charges WAY TOO MUCH for these IMO. :o) Dan

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Hey, Dan - PDN charges way too much for a lot of things. I ordered a rice paper plant (tetrapanax) from them and got a little bitty tiny thing with a bare stem. That's okay, I realize it was probably just ready to come out of dormancy. However, to my dismay I went to the herb festival here locally, and found another one in a 4" pot, with healthy foliage for $2.00. The $2.00 one I am thinking may be Steroidal Giant. The leaves this summer grew to about 18". Unbelievable. The tiny one from PDN has grown about 4-6" leaves. Looks healthy, just a smaller plant trying to get established.

I also ordered the syneilensis palmata, which promptly died - it was sooooo small.

Now, my Ruffles and Thai Giant are doing very well. Next month I will need to mulch well for winter. For now, they are still growing gangbusters.

Just another opinion on PDN.

Susan

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

My guess is the prices they charge help to cover the plant-hunting expeditions and the research on culture and possible invasiveness. A little steep for my wallet too, but that's how I justify shopping there. And if it's something I want and can't find at a reliable nursery elsewhere.

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    18 years ago

They do carry unique plants which is a plus, and normally I believe their plants are top notch, but not only is the pricing high, so is the shipping in my opinion. I've gotten a couple of plants from them, but it was during their open houses so atleast the shipping was not a concern. I'm not interested in paying for their vacations to be honest. Nice, rare plants though :o) Dan

• krazyaroider
    18 years ago

Hello fellow Aroiders,
    My opinion on PDN and their prices is the same, but if I cannot find the type of plant especially Amorphs and other unusual aroids anywhere else, I buy from them.
    I find their plants healthy and I am trying to propagate them as quick as I can so trading with others will help offset the cost of the plants bought from PDN.
    Dan - I agree with you regarding their "vacations"!
    Cheers ;-) KA

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey KA, If I had known you were looking for thaiensis maybe we could have traded. I had maybe 50 of them until I started getting rid of them this past spring and now fall. I trimmed down to what I want to keep now. I must say though, that like many of us with too many Amorphs or Arisaema I have become a difficult trade since there are very few I actually want even if I do not have them. I decided collecting was for coins awhile back and so really started to try to just get a very, very few :o) Dan

Sponsored