Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alocasia & Colocasia Overwintering

Posted by Grancru z5 MI (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 27, 05 at 8:49

I have a number of different Alocasia & Colocasia I need to overwinter. I have been told I can bring them inside and they will make a great house plant but I tried that last year and the humidity must have been to low and this trial failed. Not doing that again.

I have also been told I can stop watering them, cut off the folige and store them in the basement where the temp is approx. 68 degrees all winter and just leave them in the pots. Can anyone confirm this to be a sucessfull solution?

Any suggestions?

Grancru

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alocasia & Colocasia Overwintering

well for colocasia i just pull the bulbs up and store dry in my basement especially for the common elephant ear colocasia esculenta. alocasia im not sure i heard your supposed to keep it going all winter as the tubers dry up otherwise. im not sure for alocasia

o

Btropical - are you not able to overwinter C. esculenta in ground in zone 7 PA? There are tons here in 7a that are grown in ground in lots of different light and environmental conditions and come back every year.

Susan

o

Some of mine in pots I just stick in the downstairs, we rarely freeze, and others I leave in the garden or the ground. Some don't even go dormant here. I'm really no help am I?
Tally HO!

o

Beachplant - no, you're not! And you're just making us cold zoners jealous! LOL! Although, I wouldn't want to live in Hurricane- or earthquake-land either. But a beach somewhere innocuous would be right up my alley.

I'm planning on just letting my pots of 'Illustris', 'Black Magic', and 'Fontanesii', dry out, let the foliage die back, and take in the house to a back room where temps stay no lower 50 degrees during winter. I had grand plans to plant them out, but they didn't pan out.

Do you water them at all in the winter?

Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here