Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
winter care for colocasias

Posted by mantorvillain z4bMN Dodge (willbeane2000@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Sep 7, 09 at 9:20

I live in SE Minnesota & made a trade this spring receiving starts of several colos (I believe colo)...Illustris, Black Runner, Black Magic, and Jack's Giant (really sorta measly for this yr anyhow). I've had the big green EEs from the 'big box' stores for years and have let them go dormant in their pots in my chilly basement with pretty much 100% success. I've just whacked off the tops leaving a bit of stim, let them dry out in the garage then lugged them down in to the basement. Can I expect the others I mention above to do as well wih this method?
As an aside, I'd welcome recommendations for additional varieties you might recommend.
Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: winter care for colocasias

You should be good to go with that method as long as the colocasia's have developed a large enough tuber to survive on while dormant.

o
Alocasia Portora Weeping

Live in St Paul, MN and just brought our elephant plant indoors because of the stormy fall weather. To our surprise it is "weeping", dripping water from its leaves and leaving puddles on our wooden floor. Can anyone give me some insight on this weeping elephant ear?

Also, winter is rough and we want to keep our Alocasia living. What does it mean to "whack off the tops leaving a bit of stim"? Do we wait till the elephant plant's leaves wilt and die? It is still very lively and just produced a new leaf since bringing it inside. What should we do for the winter?

o
RE: winter care for colocasias

The "weeping" is called guttation.

Water stored in the stem of the plant which is correctly the plant's base or axis and not the petiole that supports any leaf blade is "leaking" through the leaf blade since it doesn't have any other way to escape.

When the plant was in the ground the water collected by the roots was stored in the stem and then drawn up the petiole to the leaf blade. The water was "pulled" by evaporation through the leaf lamina into the atmosphere. The water isn't pushed up but instead is drawn up by the hydraulic force created by evaporation.

Since the plant has been uprooted it is filled with water and there is no longer natural evaporation in process. The water must escape somehow and simply "leaks" through the leaf blades. This is quite common in aroids and other plant species.

Chopping off the leaves means to totally remove them. It is best to cut off the petiole as well. The petiole is the part most people incorrectly call the "stem".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here