Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edengirl_gw

Zantedeschia 'Hercules'

EdenGirl
19 years ago

Will Zantedeschia 'Hercules', Giant Calla, overwinter in the ground in zone 7b?

Comments (14)

• mike1982
    19 years ago

I keep Zantedeschia in zone 8b without a problem. So I suppose that with protection, you could keep it outside in zone 7 too.
    Where did you get that Hercules? I have been looking for it for quite a while already, without success:-( Any hints? Thanks!

Mike

• EdenGirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Mike! I ordered mine from a company in California.

Kartuz Greenhouses
    1408 Sunset Drive
    Vista, CA 92085-0790
    Ph: 760-941-3613
    Fx: 760-941-1123
    www.kartuz.com

If you go to the online catalog, clik on 'Rare Flowering Plants A-C' and look under the AROIDS section. It's listed as Zantedeschia Aethiopica Hercules.

• iamwhatiam52
    19 years ago

How big did yours get?
    I got one from Kurtz too.
    Hercules my foot!
    It looked like a healthy plant, but has grown less than a foot high. It was planted at the same time, and in the same manner and location as Z. White Giant (from Plant Delights) so I could see if there is a difference. There IS a difference. White giant has spots, and grew larger, but I'm not impressed. Maybe they are in a bad spot, but everything around them grew huge. This fall they get divided and in spring put in different spots to see how they do. I'll give them both another season before I throw them in the compost pile.
    I'll post a pic.
    Mitch

• EdenGirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Not planted yet, next month...but thanks for the heads up! Was this the 1st season for yours? I better check the site again for a return or 'satisfaction guarantee'policy. These sure are hard to find. If ANYONE knows a reputable place that ships these bulbs, PLEASE post!

• cactusfreak
    19 years ago

Same thing with my Z. 'Hercules'. No more than a foot tall. Leaves are not that big either.
    Mine are planted in the ground in my greenhouse. Everything around it is huge so I know it't not the soil or water or fertilizer.
    Z. Hercules is hidden under the EE's on the right. Next to the blue orb.

{{gwi:391564}}
    Z. White Giant
    {{gwi:391565}}

• angelo
    19 years ago

Interesting to hear that some of you are finding these plants to don't fit those infamous pics around the net. I wonder if it is a question of size of tuber. Probably they need to be heavily pumped with nitrogen to reach that size.

Angelo
    Italy z9b

• mike1982
    19 years ago

Zantedeschia aethiopica Grandiflora gets to 4 feet tall here in Belgium. It doesn't require special nitrogen feeding to reach that size though.
    Perhaps the plants you have are t/c plants and didn't come through true to form?

• honeybunny442
    19 years ago

I will be having some seeds of Z. aethiopica 'Hercules' soon, I have several blooms going. My plant started off very small too, however I had a huge bloom. I think it should be called 'John Holmes', not Hercules, it had a HUGE spadix.
    I also have a Z. aethiopica 'White Giant' that I've had about 3 years, and it has never bloomed. It got huge last year, but this year, it is even bigger, up past my waist (I'm 5'6"). I'll have to get out my voodoo stik and do a little dance around it, I guess!
    Susan
    PS I think Hercules needs time to get large.....

• anna_lisa
    19 years ago

Hi i also grow calla lily the white is small this year because its only it second year as the bulbs get bigger the flower get bigger too also have other colors http://community.webshots.com/user/teresa49101 check mine out will be staring a lot by seed this year kept all the seed I just love this flower. anna lisa

• cactusfreak
    19 years ago

My Z. 'Hercules' is blooming in my greenhouse, but the bloom is just like Greengoddess and the plant is still only 2ft tall. I think is really is Greengoddess and not Hercules. It looks just like my other Greengoddess.
    Too late now to claim a refund.

• gardenlove
    19 years ago

Hello!...I just received a gift of a : Z.aethiopica 'White Giant'. It is small right now, but I understand they can get quite large. I live at a high altitude- snow and ice in the winter, late spring snow and frosts, etc...Should I grow this plant as a House plant?..or is it Ok outdoors?...should it be grown in a container outside(then brought indoors OR the bulb lifted for the winter), or should it go right into the ground?...I also have a pond, but I am not sure what its water needs are...Any advise about how best to care for this unusual and beautiful plant would be much appreciated...Thanks!...GardenLove

• cactusfreak
    19 years ago

GardenLove, Z. aethiopica 'White Giant' is only hardy to zone 7 with mulch. You can grow in ground and lift or in pot and bring in for the winter. If you have enought light for it to grow in the winter you can water it and may get another bloom. If not keep dry.

• susgarden
    19 years ago

i also got z. aethiopica white giant from plant delights. it got about 3 ft tall and had numerous blooms, 5-6 inches across. i am starting seeds from last years bloom now. should come true to form as no other callas were blooming at the time.

• jamesco
    19 years ago

This is a very interesting and insightful chain. That's what this thing is all about. My tidbit is that self-pollinated seed do not always come true. I can think of a Punett square scenario in which you could get some big and some small plants, as I don't know whether the most important size-affecting genes are dominant or recessive.

But that blubber aside, I will be one of many awaiting a verdict on this Herculean fellow.

Until then, I would go with Susgarden and Mitch with Plant Delights. I wish that they offered some more Zants. They are an exceptional company (I just recieved a palm from them that is awesome.) and If they had a person hunting down and researching the newest and best in Zantedeschia, I would be one of many collectors who wouldn't have to look so hard!

James

Sponsored