Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Why is this family so addictive?

Such a high percentage of my plants are Aroids, I realize as I learn more about my plants. Something about leaves that unroll? Attempting to list them would be troublesome... and entail running back'n'forth to the porch a bunch'a times. They're like potato chips, you just want more! Does anybody have just one? If so, what IS it?

Comments (11)

• Martina DeLuca
    11 years ago

I know what you mean. I force myself to add other plants and flowers to my garden because everything would be Aroids or foliage plants otherwise.

• lomodor
    11 years ago

thats funny aroidgardener..a friend and fellow garden enthusiast came over the other day..she said "what no flowers?" LOL
    i have 30+ bananas,100s of EE, 30+ amorphs..etc..
    but i did jump in and say.. "i have zinnias!"
    :)
    for me..there are several levels of challenge in sucessfully growing aroids.. some are very easy..and spectacular..others are very difficult to grow .even in a
    greenhouse situation..and thats what i love about aroids
    if i want to be challenged..theres an aroid out there for me.. :)

• Martina DeLuca
    11 years ago

Lomodor.....funny! Though I was thinking...oh good, there's someone else like me. Do you have pics of your garden? Would love to see some.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I would too!

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

I love this family and I dont even have any! I did some googling last night, what a fascinating family! So many genera and species, and they look so luxurious! There's even a species growing wild here in England, in the woods near me! But the most amazing revelation for me was that duckweed, that green stuff covering ponds, is an Arum!!

• grabmebymyhandle
    11 years ago

Basically to me everything about them is amazing, I like to think of the days when aroids ruled the earth... If theres tropical holdovers from the past that still produce single leaves 20+ feet across, just imagine the beasts that once were...
    I really enjoy they way EE's and amorph's or any bulb producing aroid has the ability to produce tremendous amounts of plant material in a single season, and then at the first sign of frost, it quite literally melts away, only to re-emerge and grow a foot a day.
    Lets not forget gutation... crying plants are neat...but when i saw my C. fontanesii launching small raindrops from the leaf tip...well I was blown away. Every visitor here in the summer gets to see spitting elephant ears, fun stuff!
    I went from growing cacti and succulents almost exclusively to totally hooked on aroids... its the sole reason I joined this forum... I NEED MORE... :D

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

There's no cure for it, no rehab centres, no counselling available, it's just a slippery slope down. All you'll get is other addicts encouraging and pressuring you to get more, LOL

• grabmebymyhandle
    11 years ago

I wish I had addict friends pushin aroids on me, my friends wont even chip in when I buy enough to share...

The new guy really didnt want to be the one to point out that they have penis' , pretty impressive for a plant I think, even if some have a deformed penis...

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Well ..... that's one way of looking at it, LOL.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey who started this lame thread? Oh, I did. It's about time someone pointed out the phallic fixation thing. Was about to think I'd have to do it myself!

• grabmebymyhandle
    11 years ago

Its the main thing my friends notice, I commonly hear "hows the penis plants" ;D

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm