Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amorphophallus ?Konjac ?konjac ? rivieri

Posted by paul_ z5 MI (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 12:11

So out of curiosity, what is the correct nomenclature and can someone post a link to a reliable source proving it?

I have seen all of the above (as well as "konja", "rivieri 'Konjac' " and one or two other variations). I have had various people insistently tell me that it is correctly known as " A. Konjac", "A. konjac", or "A. rivieri." However, none have ever provided definitive evidence to support their case. As I do prefer to have my flora correctly named, I am curious to know just what is right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amorphophallus ?Konjac ?konjac ? rivieri

http://apps.kew.org/wcsp/namedetail.do?name_id=8282

o

Google is your friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konjac

o

Thanks folks!

And, Tommy, I always treat Wiki with a healthy dose of skepticism -- I have found misinformation there many a time. adult smileys

o

Wiki has a lot of good information, if you can be sure you can recognise and separate it from the bad. If you put up a study paper based on references from Wiki it would be rejected outright. It's not regarded as an acceptable reference. The Kew database is the ultimate accepted authority for plants. It's updated daily (which also means what's accepted today may be obsolete tomorrow).

o

I agree Wiki isn't a totally reliable source. I go to various other sites when I google to get a general consensus.

o

International Aroid Society lists A. konjac as the valid species. A. rivieri is not listed as species or synonym

Here is a link that might be useful: Aroid.org

o

The International Aroid Society is the central point for registration of hybrids and cultivars. But the data they provide on species is incomplete. You only have to look in their genera lists to see that there are large numbers of species missing. They rarely put in synonyms.

Amorphophallus rivierei Durand ex Carrière, Rev. Hort. 42: 573 (1870) is the full reference of the synonym.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here