Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbmock

Anthurium clarinervium

barbmock
9 years ago

Hi there,

I have been reading the thread on growing aroids from seed. This is my plant that I have been growing for over 30 years. It is one of my favorite plants, easy to grow, no troubles with pests, and I think it is beautiful. I grow it as a houseplant, no greenhouse or tropical conditions. It does flower and sometimes produces clusters of berries. Last spring I decided to see if I could grow some seedlings. I was so surprised when the seeds all sprouted. And have grown into some cute miniatures of the mom.

Is there anyone out there interested in growing this plant?

Comments (205)

• petrushka (7b)
    6 years ago

Barbara, do you usually have several inflos maturing on different stems or different plants?

'cause as far as I know most Aroids have pollen maturing at a diff time in a closed chamber, so the self-pollination on the same inflo is not possible, but if you have several inflos maturing in staggered fashion - it is possible that they will cross-pollinate.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hmmmm, it’s a possibility, but there are no insects crawling around on them. I will try to notice what’s going on next time. I am amazed that they are able to reproduce when they are indoors.

• gardenfanatic2003
    6 years ago

Barb, I'm not sure about the terminology for aroids, but for lack of a better word, I'd say they broke off right under the crown - where the crown meets the roots. The crown had pushed up above the soil line - so between the weight of the top growth and the wind blowing them, two of them were bent over sideways.

It seems like aroids always end up with what I'd call the crown of the plant above the soil as they grow. I was wondering if it's because as the bark in the soil breaks down, the soil line gets lower?? Is it okay when repotting to bury "the crown" to help prevent them from toppling over?

Deanna

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Barb, that fuzzy growth is common in my pots if they're in a closed container, I scrape it off the soil and open the container for some fresh air. I thought it might be mildew, same as a fungus. Pro Mix has been around forever, I've never even seen it but heard it's very good.

Your anth's are apparently self-pollinating somehow, or you've had two inflo's open at the same time. It's hard to hold Mother Nature back from reproducing. I noticed the clarinervium you sent me has a small new inflorescence on it right now, odd time of year but I guess it was warm enough here prior to the freezes I've had recently.

Deanna, good to talk to you. Regarding the crown, are you talking about bird-nest type anthuriums that grow in a rosette? I guess the soil could settle but I think they've probably just grown taller. If the growth above the soil line has aerial roots, it shouldn't hurt to bring the soil level up as long as you don't cover the growing tip. I'd keep it well below that. If the stem doesn't have aerial roots, I wouldn't cover it.

If wind is a problem, consider putting some support next to the stem. I've used bamboo chopsticks for this on smaller plants, for bigger plants you might be able to find longer thin stakes at Lowe's or HD, bamboo or plastic would be ideal.

Petrushka, I'm an experimenter too and have had better luck with anths in a chunky, loose potting mix than the finer commercial peat/bark mixes. The latter has been okay for anth seedlings and small plants, but thick roots on the larger anths have rotted easily in it. That long fiber sphagnum and perlite sounds like it would grow any aroid to perfection, interesting about your dangling roots in water, I'll bet they love it. My brother in the Miami area says his huge plants of Philo X Evansii around his pond grow big aerial roots into the water.

Russ

• petrushka (7b)
    6 years ago

>> It seems like aroids always end up with what I'd call the crown of the plant above the soil as they grow.

in the case of clarinervium and flowering anthuriums I was using the word 'crown' loosely to indicate the main growing stem from which the leaves grow in a circle...it's not like the crown of bird's nest anthuriums (the crown stays on the ground).

naturally they grow in leaf litter either high up in the trees or on the ground buried in loose litter - so the stem elongates continuously to stay above the litter and grows aerial roots to stabilize itself vertically. in high humidity the roots elongate and can reach the ground (soil) and grow in.

so for propagation purposes enclosing the young white just starting aerial roots with some loose moist stuff like sphag will encourage them to grow, then you can cut the stem and bury them in soil . but the cut stem can easily rot - happened to me sev times with flowering Anthuriums (Flamingo's Tail) - so I lost 2 of them when I replanted the cut off 'crown'. I tried to put cinnamon on it and/or cap it with bottle cap to prevent contact with soil, rooting powder ..what not... but nothing worked: it rotted the stem even in loose sphag.

• regina phalange
    6 years ago

@barb hey do you still have some of these plants??I m really trying to find one!

• barbmock
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sorry, Regina. I don’thave any plants big enough to send out. My seedlings are very tiny. It takes a couple of years for them to get any size. You might try Nsetropicals.com. I see their photos on Facebook.

• gardenfanatic2003
    6 years ago

I don't think the clarinervium is on the NSE Tropicals website, but you can email Enid and ask her if she has any available. I think with plants that she has small numbers of, she doesn't put them on the website.

Deanna

• barbmock
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Another one to try is Eldon Tropicals.

• doesquared
    5 years ago

anyone have luck growing the plant from root cutting? when potting up, i broke a few roots.

-helen

• barbmock
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I don’t think a plant can grow from a root. You can grow a plant from a section of the stem.

• Amanda Mano
    5 years ago

Hi barb. I also live in NYC and just got my first anthurium clarinervium which happens to have a fertilized fruit on it! I am going to try to grow some from seed (this thread has been SUPER informative) but I don’t know what the fruit is supposed to look like when ripe. Would you mind sharing a pic of what yours have looked like when you harvested?

• barbmock
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Amanda,

Lucky that you have the fruits to play around with. They sit for months before ripening, but you will know because those dark green berries turn bright orange. They need to be soaked in water and the orange pulp needs to be peeled away. I used a strawberry box to plant them. Long fiber sphagnum moss would be an ideal planting medium, or try some tropical plant mix.

Have fun and be very patient. Post a picture of your plant!

• Daniela
    5 years ago

Hi barbmock!
    By any chance do you have any pictures or videos of you starting plants from stems? I've never heard of this but i would love to try!

• barbmock
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Daniela,

Here’s a picture of the stem of an older plant. Sometimes after a few or many years the plant grows too tall and falls over. You could of course grow it on some kind of pole or support. But what I do when it gets out of control, is cut it up in sections and plant them up with a dusting of Rootone. I don’t like to do this until I have too because many leaves are lost and it takes time to grow and look pretty again. The base of the plant will resprout with several shoots.

• Daniela
    5 years ago

Wow! That's such a beautiful stem! A friend just sent me one the other day! I'm anxious waiting for it to arrive soon! I hope to propagate it as well to share with my friends :)

• doesquared
    5 years ago
    I think I have an inflorescence growing. How to I turn this into berries -> seeds -> more plants?
    Thank you.
  • barbmock
    Original Author
    5 years ago

You have a nice healthy looking plant, I am hoping you have drainage in that pot, and some airy soil. I add some orchid bark to mine. I really don’t think you will be getting any berries on that bloom. In 2 or 3 years your plant should be much stronger and will be able to produce some berries. The blooms will be much larger then.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Daniela, Good luck with your new plant.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Daniela,

Just another thought on making cuttings. Your cuttings will do so much better in spring and early summer. I do repotting and cuttings about this time of year. Show us your new plant when you get it.

• petrushka (7b)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

i've been having problems with rooting other anthurims with similar long stem.

tried cutting the tip about 6" with lots of aerial roots, middle without leaves but with aerial roots. just repotting the plant with healthy leaves/roots. they inevitably decline. tried rooting in pure long fiber sphag, or in perlite - rots no matter what.

once repotted a healthy plant into the similar mix it was in roughly 1:1:1 of coco-chips, perlite and peat based african violet mix - that rotted too in 2! weeks while on heat mat and tented.

currently i have a tip cutting sitting with small LF sphag wrap around the top aerials with a stem sitting in hydro set-up using just lava-rocks (scoria). it's just sitting for 2 months tented all the time (was on heat mat for 6weeks at the start). and still the leaves are drooping and the growth stopped (was a healthy blooming plant but with a rather long stalk).

so i am running out of options to try.

@barbmock

how long do your cut-up stems take to root? do any old leaves survive the process? when do they start to grow? do you get stem rot?

• barbmock
    Original Author
    5 years ago

There is a wide variation in the time it takes to root. I have stopped trying these experiments anytime but spring and summer. I have never tented them. Rootone has worked for me, I don’t remember seeing any rotted cuttings. Maybe Clarinervium is less prone to rotting, I don’t know. Sometimes the cuttings will wilt for awhile, maybe several weeks, and then take hold. I think fresh moving air is a factor. My two large plants were looking a little sad and curled from sitting indoors so long. I have moved them outside on the back deck in the shade and I can see such an improvement. They love our summers here in Ga.

i think your current cutting is gonna make it, just keep trying!

• petrushka (7b)
    5 years ago

yes, i have other plants that perked up after being put outside..but i have mites there on the balcony, so i was always hesitant to put anthuriums or African masks there..

i could try putting it out for a few weeks to see what happens..

• doesquared
    5 years ago

@barbmock yes, it has drainage holes. will i need to repot the plant soon? if so, what is the best time to do so?

• barbmock
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Doesquared, probably move it up one size this time next year.

petrushka, what are these mites? Spidermites? I have only seen spidermites inside the house with dry heat. Btw, I didn’t answer one of your questions about cuttings. I do remove part of the leaves, but some stay on the plant and survive. What type of anthurium are you working with?

• petrushka (7b)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

A. andreanum - the flowering hybrids. been loosing them steadily..the last one is barely holding on...They do fine so long as i don't try to repot them with bare-rooting. but when i get a new plant i just have to move it to a wicking mix - they sell them in peat usually.

interestingly enough they do ok on the first repot, but when they get big with tall trunks, after that i just have a total failure on repot (with gigantic healthy roots!).

i have spidermites in house :) too - in my west room even with a/c the temps can go up to 78F-80F. the tropicals are content though (it's my main small plant room) and even with 75% humidity mites love it! ...;(... i'm trying soil drench with azamax, but am afraid to spray indoors even in the shower, and balcony is super windy - so also is not doable. but they (mites) are very partial to only certain plants, so long as i shower them and spray with neem regularly i can control them.

• Daniela
    5 years ago

He's here! He's finally here!!! I named him Arturo!

short for Arturio

My friend sent him without soil/pot. I placed him in this sized pot as I heard they like to be root bound? Is that OK?

• barbmock
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow, What a nice plant!

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    5 years ago

Daniela, beautiful anthurium, did you receive this as clarinervium?

Barb, the top lobes look very tight together, are your plants like this? Maybe this is just a variation.

A. forgetii has close-together lobes like this, but I think it's leaf is a bit more stretched lengthwise.

Russ

• barbmock
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Looks lik a perfect clarinervium to me. When it develops more of a stem the leaves will spread. This one must have been from an offset or cutting. Seedlings take sooo long to grow nice big leaves like this

Daniela, did your friend start this from one of his or her plants?

• Daniela
    5 years ago

If i had gotten a forgetii by mistake i would be so absolutely stoked! I think the leaves are too big to be a forgetii though :(

And, my ex boyfriend sent it to me as a birthday present! He's not very into plants, but knows i've been searching high & low for this beauty! I can ask where he got if from if anyone is interested :)

• Daniela
    5 years ago

in case anyone is looking for one now, i found this guy on eBay & the vendor says he'll ship to the US :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anthurium-clarinervium-exotische-Zimmerpflanze-selten-rare-Philodendron-ahnl/223038778919?hash=item33ee25ae27:g:6~gAAOSwUxhbL9iC 

• W L
    5 years ago

@barbmock beautiful plants! would love to buy cuttings or baby plant from you. I live in NYC :) Can't find any at the moment. please let me know. thank you.

• HU-492047495
    5 years ago

Hi there @barbmock. Your plant is so beautiful. I was wondering if I can buy some baby plants from you also. Thank you so much.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sorry, I don’t have any available.

• HU-492047495
    5 years ago

Thank you so much @barbmock for your quick response. Have a lovely night

• HU-65776912
    5 years ago

Hi everyone, I absolutely love this anthurium and have been looking for this plant forever! Anyone has one they are willing to sell? It doesn't need to be large or anything. I live in California and will be happy to pay for shipping. Thank you!!

• lmrostahoop
    5 years ago
    Hi, even though its years later from your original post, I'm hoping you would still be willing and able to sell me a plant. thanks so much.
  • barbmock
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sorry, I don’t have any spare plants. I know they are hard to find these days. Wish I did.

• Heather Jensen
    5 years ago

I know this was from forever ago but they are on my want-list that's for sure!

• barbmock
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I just saw some clarinervium plants for sale on Facebook. The seller is Asian Epiphytes in Houston.. i don’t know the price.

• janaperry
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

There are several sellers on Etsy. I just received my order. The selles is located In Hawaii. The plant arrives bare root but large healthy and amazin. it is pricy but I wanted it anyway. I am pleased

• Preeti Thapa-D'souza
    4 years ago

For the love of plants! just amazing how this thread goes all the way back to 2015, with heavy contributions from Barb & Petruksha.

It has been over a month imported 2 x Clarinervium placed them in a humidity dome with grow lights. But placed them out as the leaves started developing brown spots. I do not know think it is fungal as the roots look healthy.

It has lost 2 leaves & the brown spotting seems to be increasing in presence.

Already applied cinnamon earlier this week and treated with Spinosad & insecticidal soap a few days ago.

The one I am most troubled about not experiencing any such issues with my other Anthuriums.

Any thoughts you can share from experience?

• Emily Knight
    3 years ago

A friend gave me one that was nice and healthy, but under my care it got root rot!! the fleshy part of the roots came off but like these hard strings what used to be healthy roots are leftover. right now I just have it in a 1/1/1 coarse perlite, chunky orchid, peat moss mix topped with sphagnum moss (I got that soil mixture somewhere here on the Internet specifically recommended for clarinervium), and I have it in a plastic pot in a terrarium under a grow light. Am I doing this right? Or am I overcomplicating it? Could I just root it in water like a pothos?

• barbmock
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi Emily,

Hmmm, I have never used a dome or terrarium. There have been several posts where closing them up caused problems. I do believe fresh moving air is important. As far as the planting mix, these ingredients are good. I do usually have some potting soil in the mix, and lots of orchid bark. Another thing to remember, these plants need time to settle in and adjust after they have been moved or shipped . Not uncommon to loose a few older leaves and they can look wilted for a while. i have revived some of my friends plants before with no roots. As long as the stem is solid, not rotting, it can regrow roots. I like to dust with Rootone when repotting. Be sure not to let your plant sit in standing water. It is sometimes possible to root in water, but I would just start with your soil mix. Do you live in the US? I am asking because late spring and summer is the best time to get a new plant going. Just be patient, I think it will start growing for you.

Barb

• Tommy Ng
    3 years ago

Our Clarinervium has been having browning on the leave edges, this was already the case before we bought it, but now newer leaves seem much better and all three seem to have no browning on edges, just some brown spots on the edge. Would you guys know what it may be? Too much fertiliser? Under watering?

Also we are so excited, there is a seeded inflorescence, how long will it take for the seeds to ripen up and start seeing some red/orange colouring? Does it take a year+ for that process? Thanks heaps.

• Lulu Yu
    3 years ago

I’m pretty new to these plants. Just got one from Hawaii. I read they should not be placed under grow lights. I actually wanted to place mine under some as well since we are entering the cold season. Maybe that could be why the edges are browning?I am not sure just throwing an idea out there .

• Iris M Miranda
    3 years ago

Como puedo comprar

• Heather Jensen
    3 years ago

I am so interested. They are beautiful and I only have the standard hardware store anthurium with the white flowers.

• Biggie Smalls
    3 years ago

I have been taking care for clarinerviums for quite a while now. And my winning formula is to have it in a chunky/high drainage mix and definitely give it high humidity. It makes the leaves Larger and stronger!

It started as these small leaves!

And then it grew into this very big specimen!

and oh, I live in Asia!

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County