Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
colocasia sp. black magic

Posted by tootswisc z4/5Wi (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 16, 06 at 13:50

I have this in my pond. Last year I wintered it in an aquarium that became quite skunky. I have 2 rooted shoots that are outside the pot in my pond. I am tempted to set up an inside pond for the winter but that would have to be an inexpensive and easy project to do.

Could I grow this as a houseplant in moist soil...or... Is it a bulb, should I attempt to dry off and save the large plant as a bulb and keep the shoots alive as house plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: colocasia sp. black magic

Before I learned 'Black Magic' is hardy here I over-wintered it in a big saucer I kept water in. It's been so dry this year I may have lost it, in spite of spending most my time and energy watering! I admired your picture of it on the 'other forum'--you shouldn't have any trouble keeping it in a pot in a saucer with good light and water.

o

I overwinter it in my unheated garage (which doesn't go below freezing) in regular potting soil that is moistened occasionally - not as an aquatic at all. It just needs enough water to keep the soil from becoming dry as dust. In my experience, this variety does not form tubers which are substantial enough to survive if stored dry without soil in winter.

o

Now that I've finally found a place to get answers about Elephant Ears, how about overwintering Illustris. Do I need to keep it as a house plant in water or can I keep it in my root cellar and water it occasionally. Any thoughts? I'm in MN zone 4

o

'Black maig' grows like a weed here in my garden. It is hot and dry here most of the year, and these are given no special care, except that I 'drool' over it as it's one of my favourite. It isn't planted near a pool or a water source.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Black magic

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here