Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering Xanthosoma and A. 'Hilo Beauty'

Posted by msbunny1 z7a TN (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 18, 06 at 14:29

So, while we're on the subject of overwintering...

How about X. 'Lime Zinger' (presently in a pot outdoors) and Alocasia 'Hilo Beauty' (ditto)

I have both an unheated basement and a cool greenhouse available, though would prefer to store tubers/rhizomes/bulbs rather than keeping plants alive.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering Xanthosoma and A. 'Hilo Beauty'

Hi, I've been looking for info on overwintering Lime Zinger too.I found some info at www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder
There it said "Dig up rhizomes in fall before first frost for overwintering indoors in a cool, dry place (in the same manner as cannas). Container plants may be brought indoors before frost for overwintering in a cool location either as a houseplant with reduced watering or as a cut back dormant plant." If you find any other info please post and share it. Thanks.

o

Hilo Beauty is a Xanthosoma also .

o

Aroideana,

That's funny - I've seen "Hilo Beauty" listed as both Alocasia and Colocasia. Well, rats.

Do you have a citation you can give me?

o

Check out the following site:
http://www.centralfloridafarms.com/elephantearcare.htm
It may answer your questions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here