Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenlarry_gw

How difficult are Anthuriums?

greenlarry
18 years ago

I have seen these for sale in our village recently but Ive always shied away from them(and Calocasias) as

I imagine them to be incredibly difficult to grow in a modern home.

But how difficult are they really?

We have central heating but I grow palms well by providiing extra humidity, and as we have young kids the

temperature is up most of the time to about 20C at night, so that should be warm enough.

Feasible?

Comments (9)

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

I don't know a darn thing about anthuriums, other than they are gorgeous plants. I live in a zone too cold to grow them outdoors, and I don't have a greenhouse or enough indoor space to try them. I am hoping someone with anthurium experience will jump in here to help you out. Anthuriums belong to the aroid family. You might want to check out the website for the IAS, at www.aroid.org. In case no one jumps in - most of the folks here are into alocasias, colocasias, arisaemas, amorphophallus, philodendrons, and I've probably left something out. Some Anthuriums may be hardy in your zone (8/9), but I'm not sure, so you need to check that out. If no one responds, here is some info I found:

"Most Anthuriums are epiphytes. Their leaves are generally leathery and tough and can withstand a variety of indoor growing conditions. Their roots should be kept moist, but not wet, at all times. It is better to slightly underwater than to overwater Anthurium plants. If allowed to dry out completely the growth cycle of the plant will suffer, and if overwatered the leaves of the plant will yellow. Although able to grow under low-light conditions, Anthurium plants like bright indirect sun or artificial lighting. No direct sunlight is recommended. If potted, Anthuriums require a fast-draining potting mix. To enhance growth, fertilize monthly with 1/4 strength water-soluble fertilizer such as Rapid Grow or Miracle-Grow. The plants that we sell are grown on volcanic rock, an excellent growing medium that provides a firm root base and excellent drainage. An added feature is that Anthuriums are perennial plants and produces flowers throughout the year, so enjoy their beauty all year long."

Susan

• bihai
    18 years ago

I have a collection of anthuriums. I have "flamingo flowers" (A. andreanum hybrids mostly, a few schereznum [I know I butchered the spelling of that]) and also the foliage types like the King and Queen anthuriums, birdsnest types, pendulafolium, superbum, scandens, hookerii, radicans...all in all I probably have about 30 different species and cultivars.

The "flamingo flowers" (ones with the colorful brachts) I grow as houseplants year round. Our house if VERY LIGHT. We have skylights everywhere, large bay type windows everywhere, and all the doors to the outside are glass doors, not solid. The light is perfect for all sorts of plants. I can even bloom plumeria in here. I also grow them around my greenhouse pond. The other types, the large foliage types, grow outdoors from about APril to mid-November, then are houseplants or greenhouse plants for the winter.

I find anthuriums very easy to grow. The houseplants I water twice a week, on Wed and Thursday. I fertilize weakly every 2 weeks with Miracle Grow houseplant food.

All the others get fertilized pretty much weekly with 20-20-20 outside, Full strength and watered daily as they have a lot more aerial roots.

ANthuriums are rainforest plants and are epiphytic. They like a loose well draining potting mix that will get evenly moist but not stay soggy. A perfect mix is to take Jungle Grow potting soil (or any GOOD brand), and mix in equal parts of orchid bark, perlite, and sharp sand. Or, if you can find it you can substitute aliflor (the compressed clay pellets) or lava rock for the sand. Their roots will eventually come up above the soil level and you should let that happen. Any aerial roots should be misted frequently. Anthuriums will tolerate temps to the high 30's-low 40's but they really don't like it, a minimum of 50-55 will keep them happy. In nature they attach to trees in the rainforest canopy like bromeliads and orchids do, catching rainfall. Down in Miami and in the theme parks in Orlando they mount them up in the trees for effect and they are stunning.

• philofan
    18 years ago

I have several anthuriums and they are easy growers. I think only one died on me. They take periods of dryness in between regular watering. I find them to be quite hardy. For showiness, some of the birds nest types like "Ruffles" are worth having. In warmer areas, you can grow the higher elevation species outdoors on a patio.

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info guys.
    I dont have access to fancy soil mixes, how about loamy compost(not peat but with substance-i believe theyre called soil less composts) and perlite added for openess.

Does this apply to Spathyphylum too?(Peace Lilly)

• planty01976
    18 years ago

Light provided, the peace lilly will be much easier to grow in the home than the other plants you mentioned. Most plants detest being grown in the home. My houseplants have a duplicate set & are on rotation and one set gets put outside every 2 weeks to prevent this.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Planty - I would love to try, and I believe it is called P. binnatifidum??? I have heard that I might possibly be able to winter over in my zone outside. My yard does provide a nice microclimate for plants that I have been able to zone push.

Susan

• ablazeros
    16 years ago

Hello, I'm from Indonesia.
    I need to buy Anthurium Superbum or Reflexinervium mother plants. Did anyone have any information about anthurium superbum or reflexinervium mother plants want to sale?
    Or does anyone have any information where I can find anthurium seeds for sale?

• exoticrainforest
    16 years ago

There are an estimated 800 botanically described species of Anthurium currently known to science. They are found throughout southern Mexico, Central America and much of South America with a few species found in the West Indies. But aroid botanists know there may be an equal number of unidentified species still not located and described in the rain forests of many South American countries, especially Ecuador and Colombia. The vast majority of the rarest and most beautiful forms are located on the western slopes of the Andes Mountains.

Despite an increasing number of articles on the internet which appear to claim up to fifty Anthurium species are found naturally in Southeast Asia, scientifically none are endemic in that part of the world. One internet "encyclopedia" appears to be the source of the dubious information. Aroid expert Julius Boos recently wrote, "Anthurium is a neotropical genus and does not occur naturally anywhere outside the neo-tropics!" It appears any Anthurium species found in Asia, the South Pacific, or Indonesian rain forests were introduced by plant collectors. These species are not found naturally in these regions of the world.

If you'd like to know about how to grow this genus, check out this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: The ExoticRainforest

• susancva
    16 years ago

In our office, under fluorescent lights, we grow some of the anthuriums that you see in the big box stores with the colorful brachts (we have white and pink). So far, no problems.

Susan

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting