Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwoods_gw

Diggin' 'em up

kwoods
18 years ago

Looking forward to digging up the konjac when I get home this afternoon. Got BIG this year so I'm eagerly anticipating some good tuber growth. Still have some other species going strong but it's gettin' cold nights now.

Anyone lifted theirs yet? Any stories of 25lb tubers or 27 offsets?

Comments (9)

• kwoods
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well not 25 lbs more like 4... and maybe not 37 pups more like 3... but it certainly made GraceAnne happy!

{{gwi:391953}}

The Patient

{{gwi:391954}}

The Excavation

{{gwi:391955}}

"What have we here?"

{{gwi:391956}}

Well GraceAnne is happy

{{gwi:391958}}

VERY HAPPY!

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

OMG - HOW CUTE! And the tuber is pretty nice looking, too!

Susan

• konjacking
    18 years ago

Ok ... I dug up my momma Konjac today... and after cleaning and trimming back it was 17lbs 14 oz. WOW! I was shocked it was like 8 lbs before it bloomed this spring!
    {{gwi:391959}}
    {{gwi:391960}}

• klavier
    18 years ago

If that bulb is seventeen pounds, the petiole must have been huge! Like tree sized right? The picture looks great. The one with your arm really gives the size comparison.

• konjacking
    18 years ago

Klavier,
    your right it was HUGE! I hope next year it gets bigger! The leaf was about 7 feet across and 6.5 feet high. I'd say the base of the petiole was about 4.5 inches across! I took this picture August 5 th., and it grew a bit more after that!
    {{gwi:391127}}

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

KWoods - a big show of hands clapping here! And what a lovely young helper you have!

Susan

• kwoods
    Original Author
    18 years ago

A.dunni and A.discophorous looked like they wanted to come out next when I left the house this morning. Hope it wasn't the temps last night, upper 40's. Maybe I'll bring 'em in and see if I can get another week or two of growth.

Konjacking, that is a prize-winner for sure! Your whole neighborhood should LOVE you this March!

Susan, my daughter is going to be as plant-loony as me soon, she has some pretty nice pumpkins going now for Halloween.

Anyone else dug 'em up yet? Got pics?

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

I can't grow punkins - I have too much shade. Also, I hate dealing with those stupid squash bugs, which inevitably find my squash every year, and I fight and fight, but they always win. I did manage to grow one small punkin (about 18" diameter) that I plucked the day my granddaughter was born (October 26th).

Ah....wish I could say the same for my daughter. Alas, she could care less about gardening. Now, for my granddaughter, I have hope. She already is helping with the butterfly rearing and digging in the plants, helping me with soil, watering, etc., and she is not yet 4.

Great job with the Amorph.

Susan

• beachplant
    18 years ago

Mine are all sending up new leaves. The big one in the back yard has bloomed in November before. It's just planted in the yard, an accident, it was in a pot, dormant and something else was growing there that I planted. I've left it there for years.
    Tally HO!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler