Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Colocasia Gigantea pollination

Posted by nonamesleft47 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 1, 10 at 16:17

My little 4" gigantea I bought in April is now an 8 ft monster and has flowered. I'm interested in pollinating the flowers to try to produce seed. Does anybody know how it can be done artificially? On flower 2 of 6 today I rubbed off as much pollen as I could and shook it down into the flower and shook it up. Flower 3 should begin to bloom in a day or two, any other methods I could try? I was thinking maybe try a Q-tip. Also, if I manage to get seed how should I store them? I'd rather not germinate them until spring as overwintering them would be difficult here in Kentucky. Thanks, Ted

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Colocasia Gigantea pollination

This article by my friend aroid expert Julius Boos explains the entire process. You only have two days when the true flowers are viable. Buy a good small camel hair brush and read this from top to bottom.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Aroid pollination

o

Thanks so much, very interesting flower. The floral chamber (as noted in the article) is almost completely closed by the time there is pollen on the spadix.

o

You can take an eye dropper with sterile water and drip it onto the pollen to cause it to run through the tiny opening at the top of the floral chamber restriction. Some growers use a more effective method where they collect it and make a thick "soup" using sterile water and then drip it into the restriction. Slow work but it does pollinate the plant many times.

Steve

o

Did you have any luck with your pollinating? I'm interested in trying it this summer. I've read the Julius Boos article.

Garrett.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here