Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
exoticrainforest

Anthurium myths! Such as Anthurium is found naturally in Asia

exoticrainforest
16 years ago

There are a number of myths floating around the internet regarding the neo-tropical genus Anthurium. If you have a website you have likely had your mail inbox crammed with requests from the nice folks in Indonesia and SE Asia wishing to buy seeds and plants. I just told one person from Indonesia three times in 10 minutes I don't sell seeds or plants! He simply would not take NO for an answer.

Seeds are not readily available! Growers in Florida who produce them rarely if ever wish to sell them since they are worth far more when grow as young seedlings to sell on the wholesale or retail market. Besides, why would a seller sell 1000 seeds for $10 when those same 1000 plants could be worth $20,000?

But the bigger myth floating around is the genus Anthurium commonly growing in the rain forests of the South Pacific, Australia, SE Asia and India. This is a neo-tropical genus that is found only in Central America, South America and the West Indies. You can certainly find them in Asia but they were introduced. They don't grow there naturally. Still, once a myth gets started it is often difficult to stop. And of course, price is driving this obsession. One Indonesia newspaper recently reported a single Anthurum plant selling for $100,000!

I just attended a conference in Miami on aroid species and countless growers state they are receiving all sorts of mail wishing to buy young plants and seeds. If you live in Indonesia you are better off seeking one of the exporters from South America. Even sellers on eBay are reporting they are having to refund money on sales since buyers from Asia are bidding up the price despite an obvious notice the seller cannot ship to Asia. One seller reported a nasty feedback on eBay when they had to refund the money after repeated notices they could not ship to Asia.

If you live in Asia, I applaud your efforts to grow these species, but they are more difficult to obtain than you likely understand. And almost no US grower will ship to Asia due to the legal costs and restrictions. The cost of export documents and government restrictions just does not make it possible.

And if you send me an email asking to buy plants or seeds I'll simply direct you to a page on the internet which explains why we cannot sell to Asia. But we don't sell plants anyway!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional