Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macdaddy_gw

Ariod Auction for Katrina Victims

MacDaddy
18 years ago

I've already donated to Red Cross and was thinking that I could help out some more by auctioning off some extra plants and seeds. Maybe some of you could join in too. I have an offset of Alocasia 'Portodora' that I am willing to part with. It's in a six inch pot and has two leaves that are around six inches. I will post a picture. Bidding starts at $10. You pay shipping. I will match the donation 2 for one the recieved price up to it's estimated market value of $22 which you will have to pay me. I will match one for one any amount up to $40. My company matches donations one for one so any of my own money that I donate I can double. Since fair market value of the plant is $22 it is really me who is donating the money up to that amount. You are recieving a compensatory good and so are not really donating.

The winning bidder can also choose to donate directly to Red Cross any amount his bid that was over $22 and provide proof of the donation. I will match this proven donation one to one for up to an addition $20.

So if you win with a bid of $32 then pay $22 for the plant plus shipping costs plus provide evidence of an $8 donation to Red Cross then I will donate that $22 plus another $44 to double that and another $8 to match your proven contribution. That means I am giving $74 to Red Cross and you $8. I can then put in for matching funds to my company so that Red Cross gets an addition $74 dollars. So in this example you get the plant for $32 and Red Cross gets $148.

I will be posting the picture shortly.

Auction ends on Friday. The winning bidder can request to see proof of donation. The donations will be targeted to the Hurricane fund.

I don't have any other ariods available right now but will do a similar auction later when I have some Konjac offsets and A. Sikokianum seed. I have some 1st year Sikokianum bulbets available now if someone is interested in me starting an auction on those immediately.

BTW, I have already donated to the Red Cross Hurrican Fund once already so don't be worried that this auction is too complex or delays things. You should know by now that I enjoy making things complicated. I think I have a brain tuber.

Comments (7)

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

...."a brain tuber"? You should get at least $20 for the joke, MacDaddy. Mmmmmm. Don't know if I have anything I can contribute. My fontanesii has a couple of offsets, but they will be small, as well as Illustris and Black Magic. I have offsets of my macrorhiza in the ground, but am unsure how to dig them up without disturbing the mother plant. Same with plumbea nigra. Have some non-aroids if interested.

BTW, Glasshouse Works sent me 3 tubers (about quarter size) of voodoo lily (Typhonium---the common one), and I would part with a couple and keep one for me, if that would work.

Let me know. Wish I was in a better position to contribute. I have donated to PetSmart for the displaced animals and offered to foster two cats. My 4 boys won't like it very well, but they can just get used to it.

Susan

• MacDaddy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This is the plant and that is a one foot ruler:
    {{gwi:392080}}

• MacDaddy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just found out that my company matches 2 for 1. So the example would be another $74 for the Red Cross. So the total for Red Cross would be $222 if you payed $32 for this plant.

• randy_e
    18 years ago

Hey MacDaddy,
    I also have donated (United Way) but would also like to help out. I have a few small Alocasia odora aurea variegata pups (2) I'll put up for auction. They have 2-3 leaves and are now in 6" pots. I would go out and take a photo of the actual plants but it's getting dark out. Below is a photo of an older specimen. The variegation on the ones I'll put up are nicely variegated. I'll let you decide what to start the bidding at.
    Randy

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:392077}}

• MacDaddy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Randy,

What do I know? I'd have to see a picture.

So far it appears no one wants mine. BTW I will be shipping it bareroot and washed, as it has been outside and surely has bugs.

Susan,

Perhaps, that should have been a "Brian Tuber".

Regards,
    Brian

• MacDaddy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Guess no one wants it. Austion cancelled.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

MacDaddy - I think it came on the heels of the IAS show and auction - may in a couple of weeks, folks might be more interested (I hope).

Susan

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone