Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
6'8' tall alocasia calidora fruit and pictures

Posted by sandy0225 z5 Indiana (sandy02256@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Sep 9, 07 at 20:21

I asked this summer how to pollenate this plant when it bloomed, but I thought it sounded like too much work, so I just forgot about it. Well, I guess it didn't know I needed to save pollen from one flower to another one because it somehow pollenated itself. I noticed the berries today on it.
I also took some pictures of it with my hubby Ted measuring it with the tape measure. He's standing on the porch next to the plant, but it's planted in the ground below where he's standing, it's 6'8" tall today! It has a new leaf opening up too.
Do they normally pollenate themselves like that? I'm going to go ahead and plant them in a day or two since they seem so determined to propagate...
alocasia calodora 1

alocasia calodora 2

alocasia calodora 6 foot 8 inches and ted

alocasia calodora berry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 6'8' tall alocasia calidora fruit and pictures

Nice specimen! I sometimes get spontaneous berry set on a few of my Alocasias, including A. odora, A. odora 'Indian' and A. "Borneo Giant". Usually this happens when you have more than one flower open at a time and/or you have multiple plants blooming. I noticed that bees will "rob" my blooms of pollen and they probably contribute to spontaneous pollination. If someone within a mile or so of you has an Alocasia x calidora, the bees might have done the work for you.

This is one reason why I need to see the seedlings from berries of crosses I've done before I'm sure of hybridity, as I have been fooled in the past when I got berries from what I thought was a cross, but they turned out not to be hybrids after all!

LariAnn Garner
Aroidia Research

Here is a link that might be useful: Berries on Borneo Giant (see bottom of page)

o
RE: 6'8' tall alocasia calidora fruit and pictures

Yes, that must be what happened. There was more than one flower open on the plant at the same time. Thanks for the info.
Your Borneo Giant is awesome!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here