Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alocasia Sport Propagation

Posted by GrowHappy z7 MD (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 2, 05 at 20:37

I'm reasonably sure that my Alocasia(Odora?) is a sport- it started with yellow paint like splotches in one new leaf. Now the offshoot from that stem is producing a 2nd leaf with the same markings. All the other leaves are green. How do I propagate the variegated portion of the plant? I'm a novice, please provide step by step instructions. Thank you in advance,

GH

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alocasia Sport Propagation

If you have a true off-shoot, then you already have another plant. Leave it alone and let the off-shhot grow. WHen it has seeral leaves on it, pull out the entire plant from the pot, old and new, and carefully wash away the soil and carefully separate the new, variegated plant. Repot both plants. Now, care for the new plant and wait for it to multiply from more off-shoots. Good luck.

o

Be careful who you invite to see your plants. There seem to be some who are willing to 'liberate' plants around here;)

Joe 'did I really post this?' DeRosa

o

The plant you are referring to is called ALocasia aurea. Its extremely hard to come by. How long have you had your odora? It may be it was an aurea all along but a plant with weak variegation. Mine will sometimes do that, have several offsets that are HIGHLY variegated and a few with absolutely no variegation. ALocasia macro albo-variegata is the same way.
LOL Joe!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here