Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alocasia/Colocasia ID Needed

Posted by MimiGold 8b SC (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 20:57

Our local hardware store has a wonderful nursery with so many kinds of plants. Recently while I was looking around the many varieties of Colocasia and Alocasia, I asked the employee what the Alocasia/Colocasia was called that was beside the pond. (See Picture) She said she didn't know what they were called. Then she told me she has to clean up around the pond, which meant removing some of the pups from the mother plant, and asked me if I wanted one of them. Of course, I wasn't gonna say no! So, she cut one off for me and I brought it home and put it in a pot. Now I know they can get pretty big as they were about 4-5 feet tall around the pond and they are in filtered shade almost the whole day, with maybe and hour of morning sun. I just wanted to know if it was an Alocasia or Colocasia and what the name of it was. I am hoping someone here will be able to help me identify this plant so I can find out if it is hardy in my zone or not.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alocasia/Colocasia ID Needed

Here is a picture of the pup she gave to me.

o

Black Stemmed Taro

o

Mimi, you wouldn't happen to be in Hartsville, SC, would you? Those Colocasias look very familiar, as does the pond and the fence, like the one at ACE Hardware in Hartsville. These plants will be annuals if left outside in Zone 8b; they will die back in winter but the tubers will still be alive underground and will quickly put on new growth in spring, rapidly growing throughout the warm months until the first killing frost. I'd put a young one like this inside, though, during its first winter at least. I recently got a Colocasia at the Lowe's on David McLeod Blvd. in Florence, SC, that's supposed to be a "Black Coral", though it looks more like "Black Magic", and I plan to keep it indoors during this winter even though it's a pretty decent-sized plant in a 12-inch pot.

o

It is a colocasia fontanesii black stem. they can get very large. larger than the picture near the pond. I have had mine over 8 feet.

o

Definatly fontanenii, a great EE, u will have dozens in no time, should be totally hardy there, keep the runners cleane doff or they will take over... ;P

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here