Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
espor_gw

Alocasia cucullata - aka Chinese Taro, Buddha's Hand

espor
18 years ago

I just received a very nice looking Alocasia cucullata and was wondering if anyone had experience growing it as an indoor plant. The vendor said it was easy to grow and makes a novel bonsai but he did not supply any growing instructions. Light, watering, fertilizing, etc. any help will be appreciated.

Comments (10)

• bihai
    18 years ago

Hummmm,
    well, mine are far from bonsai. I grow mine out in the yard and they are 5 feet tall and multi trunked. Have a spread of about 4 ft and they are only 2 years old. Hardy to at least 20F

• espor
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bihai - thanks for the response. How are the plants in regard to water demand, do they have to stay pretty moist or can they go dry? Also, you mentioned that your plants are multi trunked, how tall are the trunks and have you tried propagating them yet?

• bihai
    18 years ago

I water mine daily if it doesn't rain. I have them growing in a variety of light from direct full sun 12 hours a day to partial shade (say half day sun half day shade) to dappled all day shade...I even have one growing in a bog as a bog plant that is actually in standing water and has been for over a year with no rotting or other ill effect. But there is a VAST difference in our climates. Its much hotter here for much longer than it is in zone 5. And in the house, too wet may not be the best thing. In the winter they go "partially dormant", that is to say, in a hard freeze the leaves will burn off leaving the trunks intact. This happens to all the trunk forming alocasias here....portodora, portei, the different macrorhizzas, odora, even the big Xanthosomas... Along about March the plant leafs out again and continues normal growth. Yes you can remove plants from the trunk and start more if you have a mind to. Its pretty easy to do.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Bihai - it's hot for a very long time in Oklahoma as well. I think that is why they have determined that some of these aroids (colocasias, alocasias) are hardier (as in to zone 7) that originally thought. Also, exposure, protection factors, winter (colder or warmer) are key to wintering them over in the ground. With my deciduous trees to the East South and West of my yard, I get tons of winter sun, but some protection from the cold winds because they are planted against my fenceline, my backyard shed, etc. I mulch them well, too. I will have lots to report next summer (around May-June), since I am willing to test their limits.

You may have read that a friend of mine in OKC forgot and left her A. plumbea nigra outside in a pot over winter, and it came back fine. Amazing!

Bihai - do you have a website?

Espor, I doubt in zone 5 it will winter over in the ground. It might in a pot in your garage, but I would not bet that it would. I think I saw where someone just withheld water, let the foliage die down, and then stuck the pot in a basement or garage. But, it you want to winter it over as a "houseplant", I have also heard that you can grow it under flourescent lights. In this case, though, I don't know if you have to allow the plant to go dormant, and then bring it out of dormancy. Bihai?

Susan

• bihai
    18 years ago

Susanlynne,
    I am certain you do have heat in OKC. I have been there (and in Dallas) many many many times. Relatives all over the place around there. Many of our aroids go dormant in the first really hard freeze (if we have one), which usually occurs in late November, but can occur anytime in December or January as well (if its gonna happen). But the difference in our climates is, it may be 25F one night, and 75F the next day, and 50 the next night in December, January of February. Its not 25F at night and 45-50 the next day and 25 again the next night, generally speaking. By March everything is usually all over. We may get a late season frost in March, but usually not. And our ground never freezes. Our aroids are back up and well on their way by mid-April, when we can have 90F weather some years. We are right on the border of zone 9A here so its warmer than zone 8, really.

• annafl
    18 years ago

I grow mine outside, where they tolerate fairly dry conditions and almost aquatic conditions. Much more tolerant of standing water than any other alocasia I've grown. Right now they are in medium shade, but I've grown them in part sun before with good results.

The only malady that I've noted in this alocasia is that it is more prone to spider mites than any other aroid I own. Even outside, although it only happens in hot, dry weather like what we had before Rita. I suppose it would be more likely to happen indoors, so you might watch for it and keep the leaves sprayed with water on the undersides or wiped down with soapy water. I never treat the problem outside, and it cures itself with a few rains.

• Nigella
    18 years ago

> hot, dry weather like what we had before Rita

Ain't it the TRUTH????? I'm glad that's over, whe-ew.

I have seen A.c. grown as a bonsai type plant and it does look interesting, I must say. I wish I had some advice for you concerning culture, all I can do is tell you that you might have better luck over at the Bonsai forum.

• planty01976
    18 years ago

Growing cuculatta indoors for an extended period of time would be a big mistake. For MANY reasons: They prefer full sun , They hate air contitioning, as most plants do. It will become weak and spindly and the leaves will search "in vain" for the much needed light. And it will absorb water much more slowly in a cooler environment, thus encouraging rot. Be smart, dig up the bulbs every winter like everybody else.

• planty01976
    18 years ago

Maybe if you have a sunroom or windowsill, it would work to your advantage.

• wyldfox_gmail_com
    17 years ago

I picked up one of these at the grocery, and I can see it's really pot bound, but still getting new leaves. I've gotten 3 news ones in just a short period of time. Should I just wait until the Spring to transplant it or should I do it now?

Thanks.

Sponsored