Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigdopeywhiteboy

IAS Show and Sale

bigdopeywhiteboy
14 years ago

It's that time of year again! The International Aroid Society Show and Sale is this weekend at the world famous Fairchild Botanic Garden in Miami. I will be departing the Northwest in the wee dark hours on Thursday morning and hope to see a great many of you there.It's a great event in a fantastic venue, with the chance to meet and exchange ideas,information, and plants with folks from around the world. It's like a theme park for plant nuts!!! You've never lived until you've seen a full blown feeding frenzy like the one that occurs in a room overflowing with some of the finest plants you'll ever see.Any rumors that I am willing to knock small children to the ground to get at choice anthuriums are.....ummmm.....anyway....Hope to see you there!!

Comments (4)

• diane_v_44
    14 years ago

Sure wish I could have been there

Hope you took some photos

Would be so good to see a little of what was available for the lucky folks who attended

I am way up in Canada, not down for the winter til late October
    Oh my, miss it every year

• exoticrainforest
    14 years ago

I wish all of you could have been with us! The plant display was the best I've personally seen in a very long time and the Best of Show award went to LariAnn Garner who is a regular here on GardenWeb.

LariAnn's plant was a hybrid Philodendron with wildly shaped leaves and I would have loved to contrive a way to sneak it out the door! She won quite a few prizes for some beautifully grown plants and as one of the judges I would like to personally congratulate her for all the hard work which was obvious in her display specimens.

I've added a link to some of the photos of the show and there are more available but this forum won't allow me to post two links so the other will wait.

We're already working on ideas for next year so please make plans now for a September vacation in Miami! The plants for sale at the auction and by vendors from Ecuador, Thailand and all over Florida made keeping your wallet safe a major problem! Believe me, I know since my wife has already told me I spent my budget for the next three years! We will just have to wait and see! If you can imagine a Philodendron verrucossum with 18 inch velvet leaves there were three for sale! One nowresides in my atrium.

By the way, I'm in hopes LariAnn will post some of her prize plant photos since I'm still living in the dark ages and don't even have an account with one of the photo hosting companies to put up my own! But I promise, some will end up on the Exotic Rainforest website!

Here is a link that might be useful: Some photos of the IAS show

• beachplant
    14 years ago

Great pics! Vacation in Florida, I could do that.
    Tally HO!

• bluebonsai101
    14 years ago

Do the vendors from Ecuador sell some of the spectacular Amaryllids from that country? I'm talking rare Eucrosia, Hippeastrum, Phaedranssa, Stenomesson, etc? Do the guys from Ecuador have Dracontium (the only aroid from that part of the world that interests me)? Do the guys from Ecuador have a web site or an e-mail addy where I can contact them from? If you do not want to post it here perhaps you could e-mail it to me directly at: plantguy@zoominternet.net

Sponsored