Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hotzona_2007

What Size Pot for Anthurium?

hotzona_2007
13 years ago

My Anthurium is currently potted in a 4" pot, but I need to repot it as it is rootbound.

My first question is what size should I pot up to? I have read conflicting things online--one site said to pot up to something not too big, as they like to be kinda root bound. Another site said to give them plenty of room, and use a pot 3-4" larger.

Also, should I remove or wash off the current soil? I believe it is mostly peat moss. Or should I loosen the roots, then repot, leaving some of the current soil? Or should I just leave the root ball alone and put it in the new pot, filling in with the new soil?

My new mix will be one recommended by UBC Botanical Garden, who grow close to 50 different species of Anthurium in their artificial rain forest. It consists of:

50% Miracle Grow Moisture Control Potting Mix

20% Peat Moss (Spagnum)

20% Orchid Potting Media (they prefer Schultz, but I will be using Better-Gro brand as it was what was available.

10% Perlite

All throughly mixed together

I have no idea what species/hybrid I have. It has pink "flowers" with a white spadix with green ends (white in the middle, green on both ends). The flowers also have a small amount of green tinge to them at times.

Here is a link that might be useful: UBC Botanical Garden Anthurium Info

Comments (3)

• exoticrainforest
    13 years ago

Well, you're quoting my post! I've since started adding less soil and more peat and very fine orchid bark plus anything that will cause the soil to be porous. Vermiculite is great as is cedar mulch.

Anthurium normally live in trees and don't have roots attached to soil at all although some species do. Keep the roots unbound and all them to seek new areas to grow in every direction. An 8 inch pot will do no harm at all since these tend to be fast growing plants, just make sure the soil remains damp, not soggy.

You may find more useful information in the article linked below.

Good luck with it! I now have almost 100 different species of Anthurium and a very full atrium!

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Anthurium

• hotzona_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Steve,
    So are you saying that you now add 40% MG Moisture Control instead of 50%? Or is it less than that?

What is high quality peat moss? I just bought the Miracle Gro one, because that is what is available here.

Also, no one here carries the Schultz Orchid Mix. The one I am using does not include gravel, but is endorsed by the American Orchid Society. What would be a good substitute for the gravel? I do have some red lava rock that I could break up. Would that be ok to use?

Do you add extra charcoal, besides what is included in the orchid mix?

What does the finely cut spagnum peat moss do?

I have some fir bark in small pieces (Reptibark). Would that be ok to use?

It sounds like you know what you are doing with the anthuriums. Sorry for all the questions, but I would hate to kill this plant. It's kinda special because my daughter's boyfriend bought it for me before they took off to college.

• exoticrainforest
    13 years ago

I research every plant before I pot them and find out where and how they grow in nature. I then do my best to mix the soil according to the needs of the plant. Some I use 40% soil, some 30% and a few such as Amorphophallus almost no soil at all. If your Anthurium is a terrestrial species I would recommend no more than 40% soil and add extra bark and charcoal. If it is purely an epiphytic species I would use less soil and more bark as well as charcoal.

If the soil remains constantly damp and wet you need less soil and more peat and other additives that will make it drain even more quickly.

Sphagnum moss finely chopped up makes the soil mix resemble the rain forest floor even better. It soaks up water and holds it but slowly gives it back as needed.

Sorry for the delay, we've been at the Aroid Show in Miami for almost a week now.

Steve