Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milque_toast

Where to store Konjac bulb

milque_toast
14 years ago

Finally my A. Konjac that i bought in July last night keeled over. Now there is a problem of the bulb winter storage. From searching this forum I know that "a paper bag placed in unheated garage" is generally recommended. My problem is that on some days the temperatures in my "unheated garage" can reach into nineties in November-December ( though the nights are much cooler - low 40-es or 30-es). Will this do or people in the warm climes use some other method of storage?

Thanks

Jeff

Comments (16)

• bluebonsai101
    14 years ago

You can store it in your sock drawer, on top of the fridge, under the bed, anywhere you want!! No need to use a paper bag.....just sit it out and watch it or not.....seriously though, store yours in the ground in Southern CA......it is perfectly hardy there and that way you do not need to fiddle with it.......no need to dig it up or unpot it at all in your climate. If you really insist on doing that though just store it out of the pot on a bench somewhere :o) Dan

• milque_toast
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Dan. A lot of great ideas :o). if the bulb is as pretty as the plant, I've decided to build a shelf in front of my TV and set the bulb right in the middle of the screen. Better to watch it than some of the rubbish they are showing. "...seriously though", as you probably know, winter is our rainy season. wouldn't wet cold clay soil cause the bulb to rot?
    Jeff

• bluebonsai101
    14 years ago

Hi Jeff,

I've had many survive in the clay here in zone 6 where we likely have more wet and rain (snow melt, etc) than you do for the winter so I'm not sure this is a problem. There are a bunch of people out in southern Cali that grow a ton of Amorphs you can get advice from if you post to the aroid-l. Mine are simply stored dry on a shelf in the basement and if you see the flower starting to grow bring it upstairs and enjoy it (March around here). You will have no problem at all with this lovely plant......best of luck :o) Dan

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

Mine are all sitting dry around the house on shelves. No special care. They don't need special care at all. Ignore them until they start growing.

• milque_toast
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dan, we don't have no freaking basements here in Ca. Everything is clean, nice and above ground. excluding politics, of course :o).

Konjac is my most expensive plant so far. Paid $40 for a 10" pot, so don't want to loose it after just a few months. Besides, promised curious neighbors that I let them smell the flower in a few years :o).

• bluebonsai101
    14 years ago

We didn't have basements in Alabama either when I lived there.....very odd!! If it came in a 10" pot and it grew all summer it may be blooming size now!! If it is 5" diameter you have a good shot at seeing a bloom in a few months.....just unpot and put on a shelf and wait and see :o) Dan

• milque_toast
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Dan. Will do.

We don't have basements because of potential earthquakes & no need for serious house heating(IMHO). What's the Alabama's excuse?

• bluebonsai101
    14 years ago

Ya know, I'm not really sure why we did not have basements in Birmingham, but I believe it was because you would have needed to dig through a ton of rock for one.....foothills of the Appalachians. I hope it flowers for you next spring :o) Dan

• patusho25
    14 years ago

interesting stories about amorphophallus thriving in soil in such cold places!! I did follow that advice a couple years ago and 12 out of 12 little paeonifolius tubers planted directly in (clayish) soil did rot. and I live in the dry tropics =(

fortunately didn´t plant three of them and that´s what I´ve left. =/

Dan, are you (finally) selling dracontium spp. bulbils (offsets)??? got D. amazonense in exchange if interested (but you may already have this one). =P

leo

• bluebonsai101
    14 years ago

Hi Leo,

I never had success with paeoniifolius.......our seasons are just too short and it is not a plant that is worth the effort to keep growing in my opinion.

Since I never, ever attempt to separate my tubercles from my momma tubers of Dracontium I have only ever produced a couple of offsets, My plants are now getting quite large and are looking quite impressive so I hope that over time they will make more babies for me!! I just recently bought a D. amazonense that is supposed to be arriving in the next few days. I'm looking forward to growing that one!!

I did just get a reply to one of my many, many e-mails from an exporter in Peru that claims they can supply Dracontium tubers so if that ends up working out perhaps I can get some nice tubers of new species or additional tubers of species I have.......this is by far my favorite aroid genus.....really about the only one I still try to acquire new species of :o) Dan

• patusho25
    14 years ago

ratz. perhaps one day (hope I´m still alive) your hearth will softens enough to scratch a couple little tubers (from the dozens they bear each year) and decide to sell or preferably give away for free some >=)

cheers

• bluebonsai101
    14 years ago

I just wish these were something you could track down a bit easier in general so the few of us that love them could grow more of them. Most of mine are no-ID species that I have been fortunate enough to get from friends and other growers that took pity on my plight. My only known sp. are polyphyllum, prancei and now amazonense. I also have 2 unknowns that originated in Brasil, one unknown that came from Ecuador and one unknown that came from a grower in Hawaii. I had some others when I first started with these, but it was before I figured out their growth needs and I lost them.....now that I've had some of them for 5 years I feel like I've got it mostly figured out and the are growing well even for me without a greenhouse.

Next time I repot one after a dormancy (likely next summer since almost all of mine were repotted this summer) I will try to remember to separate some tubercles that maybe I can send you in exchange for some of your amazonense.....a different clone is always good to have :o) Dan

• patusho25
    14 years ago

dracontium seems way easier to cultivate than paeonifolius, bulbifer and titanum (all amorphos I got). and their stems are great to watch.

dan, I managed to sprout a few amazonense (they took two years to do so). aussie Michael told me they take about one year to do it but guess I´m not that good. lol glad you decided to share some of your dracontium spp bulbils in exchange for my amazonense.

will get more amazonense bulbils from mommy this winter. if anybody wants it in exchange for any other amorphophallus/dracontium/sauromatum/dracunculus/helicodiceros (like this one a lot), etc bulbils/tubercles. =D

cheers

• evil_garden_gnome
    14 years ago

Hi Jeff,

Looks like you've got your answer by now...

But, I'm also in SoCal (Long Beach) & yea you can just keep it on a shelf in a closet & it will be fine...
    I store mine in an empty ceramic pot on a self in my kitchen closet without any problems...

I have photos posted at~
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/573898394PbxcWv

Good Luck With It,
    E G G

• brouczech7
    6 years ago

Hi

I just took the bulbs out

and they are starting to grow

I propebly took them out to late

now what ?

how do I store for winter?