Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris32599

Typhonodorum--- does anyone has one!!!!!

chris32599
18 years ago

Typhonodorum lindeyanum.............

Does anyone have this plant, and if do how best to grow it....

Plus does anyone know where to fine one???

Comments (12)

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

I've never heard of it, but am curious now. I'm sure someone will respond, but be patient. Did you do a google search?

Susan

• raymikematt
    18 years ago

Ive grown it in the past but dont have any right now. Its a neat plant...likes water and a semi-sunny spot. Preferably in a shallow warm pond.
    michael m.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

The only thing I could find about this plant is that it likes swampy boggy conditions (not a moving water situation), gets 10-12 feet tall, is indigenous to Madagascar, and is best to propagate by offsets because the mucilaginous seeds can cause skin reactions. Spathe about 1' long eventually. Can be invasive in zone 10 and south. Hardy to zone 9. I saw a picture of it, and it's very attractive.

Susan

• chris32599
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi All

Thanks for the info, I have a large pond and think this would be a great plant additation to it....hardy to zone 9 which would work for me....I could not fine any info on cold hardiness myself so this is great news.....now all I need to do is locate a plant or bulb....

Raymikematt did you grow your plant outside? and where did you get it...Thanks

and thanks Susan for your research job....if I fine one I'll let you know....

• User
    18 years ago

Yep, thanks Susan....yet another plant I will HAVE to have for the pond. Very neat plant.
    Lynn

• lariann
    18 years ago

Yes, I have one left (I had eight but gave two away and lost the rest). I used to have a large mature one, large enough to set seed for me, until Hurricane Andrew came.

I had success with this plant, growing it sitting in a shallow pan or saucer with weak 20-20-20 solution in it. It grows quite fast but you do have to keep the water changed so it gets air to the roots. Also, I grew it in sphagnum moss mixed with Turface, perlite and sand. I don't know how well it would grow in "regular" soil if kept sitting in water.

If mine gets big enough to set seed, I'll let everyone know; I've never seen offsets on this plant and growing them from seed is the only way I've ever done it.

LariAnn

• raymikematt
    18 years ago

Mine were seedlings I obtained through a friend. I also got a few from a place in Hawaii that was selling them several years ago but no longer. At the time my Greenhouse ponds were not heated and the seedlings didnt make it through the winter. Id be careful in a zone 9 though, as these guys probably wont be able to take any kind of freezing temps.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

LariAnn - what is Turface?

Susan

• User
    18 years ago

Susan,
    that's a clay product manufactured for it's absorbant properties. Looks similar to clay kitty litter and is used by some ponders as a planting medium.
    Lynn

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Thanks for the response, Lynn.

DOesn't it just irk you that you get a plant with invasive tendencies only to lose it? I can't tell you how many times I've done that, expecting to grow rampantly and fill in some of my difficult spots, or any spots for that matter. Kaput - it's gone.

I have one side of my south facing back yard where I can grow little to nothing. I don't know if it's the trees growing along my neighbor's fenceline along the east line(is it the species or what?). I have trees growing along the other side (west) on my other neighbor's fence line, and plants just do wonderfully there. Also have good luck in the middle and along the back fenceline. It's that darn East line that gives me so much trouble. I can't see that there is a walnut planted there, or I could chalk it up to juglans. Even weeds are reluctant to grow there. I may need to put in raised beds to solve my problem, but what a pain. It could be soil compaction, too.

Susan

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

I was surfing the net and found myself at B&T Seeds - anyone know this place? Anyway, I found that they have, or will soon have plants of this, but only available in Europe. Wonder if they will sell seeds to US? Anyway, also got the following info, to add to what we have from their website, and I quote:

Typhonodorum lindleyanum is an aquatic Araceae
    native to Madagasca with sagittate leaves
    It grows to 2 or 3 meters tall in silty, basaltic, slightly acidic water
    The 'flower' is a large spathe and spadix
    (white "like a nun's habit")
    the edible seeds are about 1.5 cm long and a rich brown colour.
    We hope to have more photographs and some botanical data soon.

Small plants £30 each (about $48 US dollars)
    Plants are only available within Europe

Excellent photo of a small Typhonodorum lindleyanum
    at the International Aroid Societies web-site.

B & T's Araceae page

Susan

• Pond Plant Girl
    13 years ago

I am looking for one too. Please let me know if you've had any luck? I found 1 store online, but it was $15 for a 3 inch pot. GAiL

Sponsored