Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
so this is what a $326 anthurium looks like....

Posted by bihai zone 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 07 at 8:03

This is an example of what one of the high priced Anthuriums going for big bucks on eBay looks like. Currently the bid for a plant about the size of my infant is up to $326. To me, its a cool plant, but if I had not gotten it for $25, I probably wouldn't have bought it. I purchased this plant from Ecuagenera a year ago, and it has tripled in size. This species (A. reflexinervium) is found naturally only in one place in Peru and typically (from what I have read on the International Aroid site, anyway) grows on rocks (epilyth) in a lot of sun. Since I wanted to keep mine mobile, I put it into a treefern basket with lava rock, aliflor and some orchid mix. It's done very well. Hopefully someday it will flower and seed and I can try to grow some from seed, that will be cool. I am already trying to grow some A. gracile and a few other anthuriums from seed.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: so this is what a $326 anthurium looks like....

I whole heartedly agree. But a discussion on the Aroid l board yesterday pointed out very well the market will simply bear what the market will bear. If people in one part of the world are willing to pay way more than a plant is worth, well, that's just "show business". But it is certainly a strange phenomenon.

Apparently this same "phenomenon" has swept that part of the world before. They've often gone crazy over obtaining common plants while paying extremely high prices we'll likely never understand. Just stand out of their way until it is over! And it will end!

o

Yep, as long as people are selling correctly identified plants and the free-market is willing to grab them up for silly prices that is OK.....not sure why they do it, but people will pay just goofy prices. There is an Anthurium selling for over $3K on ebay from one of the absolute best people to deal with in the world....more power to her, but I can not fathom spending that sort of money on any plant and I have surely spent too much money on plants in my day.....my wife will confirm that by the way :o) Dan

o

Haven't we all???

o

I want a $3k anthurium, at least to sell! I don't want to buy one though....LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here