Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris32599

Anthurium faustinomirandae in zone 9

chris32599
18 years ago

How does this plant fair outside in zone 9.....

Comments (16)

• bihai
    18 years ago

In zone 9B in FL where its very humid, pretty well. In zone 9 in the west, where its very dry, well.....may be nore of a challenge

• chris32599
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am more concern about the cold, since this is a new plant for me...and I could not fine much on it cold tolerance...

I have other anthurium outside for years, and if they are in a protected area from the sun they do ok with the dryness........

• planty01976
    18 years ago

I am also in zone 9. I DO NOT see any antherium surviving in zone 9a or 9b. My answer (from experience) is NO they cannot survive. Even a light freeze with turn the leaves to mush and kill it.

• bihai
    18 years ago

They have birdsnest types growing in the theme parks in Tampa and Orlando (firmly zone 9 FL) that do quite well through the cool weather.

• chris32599
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Bihai

I had the bird nest anthuriums outside for years and they are quite hardy, I also got an anthurium from home depot last year and it made it through the winter... I don't know what kind it is but it was about 4 feet tall....

The flamingo type are not hardy and will not overwinter for me... I got the A. faustinomirandae from Natural Selections Exotic last week, they did not give any info on cold tolerance..its outside now, as the weather cools I will keep a close eye on it, if it shows stress I will bring it in, if not I will let you know how it weathered the winter..

• User
    18 years ago

Planty- don't be so quick to lay down rules- microclimates work(especially for plants that like filtered light).....I have several areas where frost doesn't touch.

Lynn

• bihai
    18 years ago

Me too. I have a 2 raised beds, one in front and one in back of the house that are sheltered from frost, and being right next to the house are very warm. I have neoregelias, aechmeas (those are bromeliads), Amazon lilies, Nun's Cap Orchids, Cardboard Palm, and ALocasia aurea planted there that never get frosted and never go dormant, even at 20F.

Chris,
    I have always held off on purchasing A. faustinomirandae because if its eventual very large size. But I have wanted it for a long time.

• planty01976
    18 years ago

Lynn, Leave YOUR anthrium out this winter. LOL

• User
    18 years ago

I don't have any- who wants to send me some?!? LOL
    Lynn

• planty01976
    18 years ago

Oh sure...I'll email you some.

• User
    18 years ago

Darn! Those kind again. LOL

• planty01976
    18 years ago

Ok, it has become clear that they DO survive 9b but NOT in 9a. Don't make me leave one out this winter and kill it just to prove a point! LOL!

• chris32599
    Original Author
    18 years ago

UPDATE REPORT..........

Well we got some cold, two nights below freezing, first night 28F the sec. night 26F, they were short freezes only a few hrs....but the A. faustinomirandae and my Home Depot anthurium made it without any leaf burn...they are under trees...

This is the sec winter outside for the Home Depot anthurium...I am glad to see my A. faustinomirandae can take some cold...its such a nice plant, I saw a 6' one a few months ago in South Florida and really fell in love with them...and decided than that if my little plant makes it through the winter I will buy a few more...

• Steve_ExoticRainforest_com
    16 years ago

I realize this post is way late, but just for the record the correct spelling is Anthurium faustomiranda. The botanist for whom the plant was named was named "Faustino" but Dr. Tom Croat, who is one of the two botanists who described and named the species, shortened the name to Anthurium faustomirandae (fausto). You can read his explanation as to why on the link below.

The name is misspelled on the internet on the majority of websites and the spelling used here is not the only bad spelling used.

If you doubt this information look up the plant on the International Plant Names Index or TROPICOS. You'll only find the spelling as I posted it here.

Here is a link that might be useful: The ExoticRainforest

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

I am in Zone 9A. I have anthuriums in clay pots around the base of my oak trees. I didn't move any of them for winter. All survived temp below freezing for over 12 hours and a low of 25.7 F on Feb 17/18.

Birds nest anthurium was under the oak, too. Never batted an eye.

Carol in Jacksonville

• keys6505
    3 years ago

Bringing this thread back from the dead.. checking to see if anyone has any updates on how their Faustomirandae or Hookeri has fared in 9a winters.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA