Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Syngonium-like plant and shingler in Ecuador id?

Posted by woodnative 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 20, 10 at 8:44

In the jungles of Ecuador, east of the Andes I commonly saw plants that look very much like Syngonium.....arrowhead type leaves on a philodendronish stem. Juvenile leaves had some silvery patterns in them. Any idea to identifcation?

I also saw a lot of a shingle type plant....leaves one to two inchess long, simple, and hugging the stem. I assume this is the juvenile form of some Monstera??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Syngonium-like plant and shingler in Ecuador id?

I showed your photo to Dr. Tom Croat of the Missouri Botanical Garden. Tom wrote the most recent Revision of the genus Syngonium. This was his response:

"It is indeed a Syngonium but I don't know it specifically. It is likely to be a juvenile form, perhaps even of S. atrovirens."

The problem is that species is not known to appear in Ecuador abd us primarily found in Central America. You may have discovered a new species or a specimen not previously known to exist in that country. Every time Tom goes collecting in Ecuador he comes back with at least 25 new species not known to science and currently has a backlog of some 500 plants to be published.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here