Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bihai

Faery sighting in the Xanthosoma!!!!!

bihai
18 years ago

This is my daughter. She's almost 11, 4 ft 10 inches tall, 115 lbs. She likes to pretend she is a faery. She is holding a leaf from one of my Xanthosoma saggitifolia plants from out in the yard.

{{gwi:83961}}

Comments (7)

• cactusfreak
    18 years ago

You're great are growing things all around.
    What do you feed your kids? LOL
    Your daughter reminds me of a young Bridgette Bardot.

• fernaly
    18 years ago

Bihai, that is the cutest picture. Your daughter is a real cutie too.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Bahai - is that a leaf you just cut off your plant, or is the pot behind your gorgeous little girl?

Have you ever tried propagating via leaf cuttings, i.e., pieces of leaf with a vein in sterile mix? Like you would a begonia? There is a discussion on another forum about this, and I just wondered, in your experience, if this was possible? You certainly have a good specimen there that would likely produce hundreds and hundreds of plants!

Susan

• bihai
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That's just a leaf we took off. The plants grow in the ground out by the swimming pool. Every once in a while the leaves get so big that you can't walk by on one side of the pool without risking falling in so we lop a few off. My daughter is a real cutie....she loves to play act and make up stories but darn it she hates to garden!

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Bihai - LOL! I can so relate - my daughter hates to garden, too, but I'm breaking the granddaughter in. She's almost 4 (this month), and she loves to get out and dig around, and especially loves to help with the butterfly gardening. We raise butterflies from egg thru caterpillar, thru chrysalid to butterfly, and then relesae. We also are embarking on the path to raise moths as well. I sometimes refer to the cats as worms, and she inevitably corrects me, and tells me they're not worms, they're caterpillars! She also likes to help me water.

My daughter is 26, and she hates to even go outside in the yard. Too many bugs! Well, I love bugs, spiders, you name it, and am always trying to ID something I haven't seen before.

Gorgeous leaves - you southerners can really grow 'em!

Susan

• minibim
    18 years ago

I think you have the makings of a really cool Halloween costume!

You can give her a little break though, when people ask what she is, she can just say "I'm an elephant ear" instead of "I'm a Xanthosoma saggitifolia" - although the looks on people's faces would be funnier!!!!! lol

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

....but be careful.....if you say "aroid", they'll think it's some new medication for athletes.

But that is really cute, Minibim! Ha ha ha ha ha. My granddaughter is going as Barbie Fairytopia! She tells everyone that, even those that don't inquire! She's only 3 so she can get away with it.

Susan