Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting amorph leaf cuttings?

Posted by rredbbeard SE CT USA/zone 6 (rredbbeard@aol.com) on
Wed, Oct 24, 07 at 10:03

I'm experimenting with rooting leaf sections of amorph paeoniifolius, taking the cuttings before the plant goes dormant. Has anyone tried this? I dipped the end in rooting hormone and planted it in cactus soil, moist.

So far so good/I'll keep you posted...

--Rr

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting amorph leaf cuttings?

I've heard of this working but I haven't tried it myself. Looking forward to seeing how it goes; if it works, can you post pics?

o

This has been discussed in quite a bit of detail on the aroid-l in the past. It works best for species with bulbils in the leaf axis, but will apparently work for all species including Am. titanum. You can check the archives at the IAS for lots of info. It absolutely works. Good luck :o) Dan

o

Hi LariAnn, Dan and Rr,

to get an impression see the pics here:
http://www.amorphophallus-forum.de/viewtopic.php?t=309&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

For non-German-readers run it through the google tranlation mashine.... allways funny to read... ;-)

Good growing,
Bernhard.

o

Bernhard,

Thanks so much for the URL! The pictures are exactly what I, and I would think, others, really wanted to see!

For the cut-and-paste challenged, below is a clickable link:

LariAnn
Aroidia Research

Here is a link that might be useful: Rooting Amorph leaves

o

Thank you Rr, LariAnn, Dan, and Bernhard,

I have been reading various forums and mailing lists lately and have heard of this procedure.

I have never seen pictures before though, Thanks for the links.

I will be tying my hand at it this winter.

John

o

For the op , best to do the leaf cuttings early in the season , not when the leaf is old and nearly dead .
I just tried with a gigas leaf , even though its spring down under , it was just going into dormancy .

o

I'm working with A. gigas right now and they were started in early september. So far they all look great, but I have not disturbed them yet. I'll let you know if they form tubers, and post some photos.
I used Dip-n-Grow, and put them in moist perlite in a humidity dome.They are under a 400watt metal halide 24 hours a day.
garbird

o

Only 2 out of 5 of my A. gigas leaves produced roots and tubers. I only got one photo, but I'll post it with photos of leaves when they come up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here