Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwoods_gw

Out of sync Amorphs

kwoods
18 years ago

In another post Dan wrote,

"It will not grow until next spring/summer" regarding Susan's Amorphophallus.

I know that's generally true but doesn't it matter where it came from? I have a large variabilis as well as a muelleri just coming out of dormancy, recent imports. Is there a way to delay their growth or induce dormancy once they start sending up a petiole? I've tried keeping them cool and they have slowed but not stopped. Bad idea? Previously all my Amorphophallus have been from sources in North America/China w/ the same growing season as me.

How do I get these guys back "in sync" for a warm weather growing season?

Comments (4)

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

HI KWoods, Well, to be fair, I asked what the species was as this would obviously influence my full answer. Yes, I have tons that just started growing in the past month. I personally find that when you import blooming size (or smaller) tubers from overseas they often rest for a full year or sometimes break dormancy at the wrong time (that would be now). I guess I made two assumptions which were not fair. First, I assumed it was from a person here in the U.S. that Susan had gotten it after it went dormant following a nice growing season here in our hemishpere. Perhaps it was an offset or a small tuber that was an extra in someones collection. Second, I assumed it was a more common species rather than one of the Indonesians that do not have a true dormancy. I agree these were poor assumptions. If the tuber did not grow this summer or it is one of the species with no true dormancy then I would advise a totally different strategy.

Susan: Can you help us out by telling us what species it was??

As for getting them back in sync....when you figure it out please let me know...I've got ones like symonianus that I've had for 5 years that just stubbornly wait until late July or maybe Sept. 1 to start to grow.....every stinkin year.....I do not know how to hurry them up. I've posted this question before....can you put them in a very warm humid room to wake them up (say a nice 37C warm room in your lab at work??). I actually got in some from Madagascar and since they decided it was time to grow in Nov. I gave them away a year ago...these were the Mahajanga from Out of Africa....I've got enough problems without dealing with that nonsense.....I try not to get these anymore....although I do have some Am. galbra from Aus. that give me the same heartburn :o) Dan

• Bryan Lampl
    18 years ago

I have seen the same situation. My A. sp. Madagascar just came up a few weeks ago. Last year it spent its growth cycle in a greenhouse. This year I am going to let it deal with the cooler temps to see how it responds. Here in So. California we have gone into the 50s at night and I believe that should put most species to sleep. I still have at least fourty plants that are still going strong and like the sp. Mad., there are a number of tubers, mostly Indonesia imports, that just broke ground within the last few weeks. I suspect that I will probably just see a shorter growth cycle, especially as the temps get cooler. Luckily for me, and the plants, I rarely see a frost in this area, plus my plants are protected some so maybe we can learn something about how much cold they can take. I have already noticed that some of my Africans have started turning yellow. I am not sure if this is due to temperature or just happens to be that they are going dormant at the same time as the night time temps have lowered. To be continued.....

• kwoods
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OK, well at least there are others struggling w/ the same issues. I have definitely slowed the growth on my variabilis by keeping it cool, not sure if this is so wonderful or what will be the end result of this "experiment". The muIleri seems to be in suspended animation somewhere between growth point and emerging petiole (can you have a 3 inch growth point? ;Â)). I think getting them to break dormancy at the right time next year is probably the real "trick". Maybe I can slow them enough then get'em really going in spring (delay growing season?). We'll see.

Dan, did not mean to sound like I was criticizing or calling you on any assumptions from the other post, not my intention AT ALL. I have come to rely on a lot of the info you have provided on this forum (as I'm sure others have as well) and appreciate your insights very much.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Dan, mine was a konjac if you're talking about this Susan - there's another Susan on this forum, so I'm not sure. It is an offset from a plant grown here in the U.S., just finished it's growing season in it's previous location.

So, no recent overseas travel involved.

Susan