Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tommyr_gw

If you want Amorphophallus, the time of year is here

tommyr_gw Zone 6
13 years ago

Those interested in Amorphophallus should check out ebay now. There are many available. Like this monster:

http://bit.ly/d8vu03

I am NOT a seller on ebay, just providing info for those interested.

Comments (7)

• radarcontactlost
    13 years ago

And what a selection there is too! There are a lot of really rare ones right now, I even saw an Aphyllus!

• bluebonsai101
    13 years ago

I used to collect them....now I'm bored with them.....I just do not seem to be able to stay focused on a genus for more than about 10 years......I'm hoping my fascination with Dracontium will last longer than that.....5 years and going strong (maybe because they are soooo much harder to find), but who knows after 5 more years! My Amaryllids from South Africa and South America (other than Hippeastrum) are still a huge fascination after more than 10 years so there is hope :o) Dan

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well right now I only do Konjacs but I grow lots of other stuff as well, like some orchids, Carnivorous plants, Streps, African violets, etc. So I'm never bored!

• radarcontactlost
    13 years ago

Tommy i suggest you stay just with konjac. Once you start collecting other species youll soon realize you have to get them all. I havent counted lately, but I would say Im up to around 40 or so species.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL! I have too many plants now and of coarse the Konjacs have been making me babies too! One amorph species is enough for me!

• bluebonsai101
    13 years ago

Radar is soooooo right, I fell in to that trap, had likely just as many species and realized they were not very impressive so got rid of all but a few small ones and my konjac for outside in the garden during the summer....and still I have the silly things flowering and starting to grow now in some cases....UGH!! Out of my maybe 500 or so pots of plants I'd say only 5% are Amorphs now.....still, my problem is that once I have seen a plant flower 2x or so it becomes old news.....I know, it is a problem I have.....I'm more of a person that likes the challenge I guess. I've never grown an orchid I have to admit! I do have to say that I just love my huge geophytes from South Africa and have had many of them for a long time now.....so architectural :o) Dan

• radarcontactlost
    13 years ago

I guess that's where you and I differ Dan I like a challenge to a certain extent. I always do my homework on a new plant before I buy it, but if that plant refuses to cooperate I will find something that will. One of my favorite things about amorphs though is that most of them can be stored dry. So come winter my collection shrinks down to a trunk full of tubers instead of pots and pots of dormant plants. I have been branching out though lately into other aroids. I started playing with some colocasias and I bought an anchomanes. I'm excited to see the latter leaf out. It should look like a pissed off amorph!