Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Philodendron Melanochrysum growth rate.

Posted by chris_e_uk (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 9, 08 at 10:56

I have purchased a mature specimen of a Philo. Melaochrysum but since i have had it, it doesnt seem to be happy and has stopped growing. I have put it in a warm heated greenhouse with numerous other tender aroids such as Anthuriums, Alocasias and about a dozen other different Philodendrons and everything else is growing great with big leaves and rapid lush growth so much that the greenhouse is almost completely over-grown with tropical aroids every since i got the heat/light/humidity right except for this Melanochrysum that just sits on the bench doing nothing. Is it a particularly difficult Philo to grow or what, any tips please.

Chris.......UK.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Philodendron Melanochrysum growth rate.

It needs a totem, they like to climb

o

It is on a totem, it was on a totem when i bought it and i have left on the same one, literally took it out of the box and just let it carry on. It immediately put out a brand new big leaf but hasnt put another one out since in the 6 months i've had it, miserable grumpy plant that is beginning to wind me up!!

o

Have you fertilized it?

o

Yes, I forgot to mention that the plant keeps trying to send up new shoots from the base of the stem instead of growing from the top of the plant where the next big leaf should come from, as it produces these new shoots at the base I remove them to encourage the main plant to grow but nothing from the top, just more shoots from the bottom.

o

Let the base shoots grow , maybe more foliage will help the top take off . THis is not an easy species to grow , I have finally got a top to grab onto a tree on my garden . Now to just get a P.gigas to start climbing .

o

• Posted by bihai zone 9 (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 11, 08 at 22:06

Why on earth would you take off shoots?
Leave them ON, man! Don't ever remove new growth from a plant that's obviously struggling. That's like taking food out of the mouth of a baby

o

You dont think removing the new shoots will encourage the main stem to continue growing?

o

If your main stem ISN'T growing, you might see if one of the new shoots would be more vigorous. That seems to be where the plant WANTS to put its energy, why thwart it? Maybe you meddle too much, LOL

o

I think you might be right bihai, I think i DO meddle too much, and worry too much about the darn plant. hoe-hum!!!

o

• Posted by bihai zone 9 (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 13, 08 at 21:51

I used to do that too. Then I got smart and let Chaos Theory take over. The plants all do a lot better now, LOL.
I tried in vain to train a small Philodendron "Strawberry Shortcake" up a totem. It just wouldn't do it. Finally, I just gave up. I left the totem in place, and forgot about it. Then one thing or another happened, and for some reason the philo got covered up from casual site and I forgot about it. Months later, I noticed an "unknown" philo climbing up the wall. It was the SB Shortcake, now really big, doing its thing. Chaos Theory of Gardening.

o

Funny thing that, all of the plants that i never pay any attention to except watering ocassionally are thriving and taking over he greenhouse but the ones i keep fussing over just want to be left alone i think, like the song goes "too much love will kill you!"...LOL

Thanks for the tips.

o

Hey, has anybody ever heard of Philodendron "miniature selloum"? Photo in Graff's Exotica. Am I the only person that has one? Looks like a regular selloum with every leaf curled under 'like a dead spider'. But it is by NO means....... a miniature plant. chumleyrobert@html.c

o

What has this above post/reply got to do with the growth rate of a Philo. Melanochrysum ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here