Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ifraser25

Callas ( Zantedeschia)

ifraser25
10 years ago

Can anyone give me any tips about growing Calla Lilies? I think we have a good climate for them and I'm preparing a bed with rich moist soil. My main concern is about the amount of light they will need, as it is somewhat shaded. How much shade will they tolerate before flowering is affected? We do have a sunny climate.

Comments (6)

• palmfan
    10 years ago

I have great success with Callas in zone 7b. They thrive in sun or bright shade with dappled sun in my climate surviving cold and snow in the winter while dormant. They even have fruit which I hope will ripen before we get a freeze. Will the berries turn red when ripe?

• grabmebymyhandle
    10 years ago

The berries will most likely change color, prolly from green to yellow when ready, they maky not, if they feel squishy they are prolly close enough!
    Aroid seed doesn't store, u must plant promptly!

• mushibu10
    10 years ago

I have the pure White Calla and it didnt' flower last year I didn't let it i wanted more of a bloom the following year (this year) and I have MAngo coloured Black,yellow, and several other colours growing I am in UK ZOne 8(8a this year 7a last year) and I grow them indoors. I get a new colour every time i go to garden centre.

the traditional white ones like boggy conditions and will do fine if over watered soil must never ever dry but the coloured one i have found they like it on the dryer side I water mine once a week (in plastic pots) the more light the faster they will grow and do well to flower.

I also before planting soak the Rhizome/Corm for an hour in warm rain water before planting. and i have never had my set seed. and i dint'; thing aroid 'fruits' was edible

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

mushibu,
    so your callas are kept always indoors? and they bloom indoors?
    i have a pot of white ones that i put out on the balcony in part sun - they grow well, but don't bloom. i think they need more light.
    what did you do to prevent your white from blooming? i'll try to do the opposite ;).
    do you store your corms dry? i keep mine dry but in soil in pots. right now they are already shooting sprouts 3" tall. when do you wake up yours?

• diane_v_44
    10 years ago

ifraser, I bet your Calla lilies will really flourish in Brazil
    I am a Canadian and love calla lilies
    I ave been growing them even up in canada Some in pots and some right in the ground in a sheltered spot where I dump at least a foot of elaves over them each fall.
    I do as well have a place in FLorida In the south of Florida
    And have here, in pots, as the soil in my area is very sandy Calla Lilies that are in bloom right now. They have been in the same pots for several years now large pots and bloom each year. When I come down from the north they are completely dormant
    In Brazil they should be a thing of beauty Maybe someday we will see pictures.

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

I have been growing Callas in Zone 4 for a few years now and I treat the latter two categories a lot like Caladiums. Callas fall into three basic categories.
    The White Callas (aethiopica) generally are evergreen and need a lot of water. Their leaves are generally large and all green.

The Dwarf, or Mini Callas are strap leaved and are generally deciduous. They like to stay moist during their growth season but dislike wet feet.
    When dormant, these Callas should be kept cool and dry.

The third category (elliottiana, maculata) has a very similar culture to the Minis, being both deciduous and liking good drainage.
    The leaves are generally spotted and the spathes come in many colors.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor