Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjcfnp

Growing Monstera deliciosa Liebm / Split Leaf Philodendron

sjcfnp
14 years ago

Hello to all Garden Webbers -

I am new to this forum and should introduce myself. My name is Sheri and I live in southern MS. I came across the forum while researching the web and trying to figure why my philodendron leaves are yellow. not all - just some. seems to be predominantly new growth. They are outdoors, shaded area, potted, and recieve what I assume is adequate indirect lighting. I suspect they may be too moist and also wonder if the light is not enough. They are under a carport.

I received 3 of these potted plants as a gift. When they arrived they were primarily rootballs with lots of new growth shooting out. One of the plants has taken off, growing rapidly and seems to be loving life. However the other 2 seem to be struggling with yellowish baby leaves. I have babied them and can't seem to figure what will make them happier.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Also - please forgive if this has already been posted somewhere. I have looked for info to answer the question and only have a limited amount of time. Your advice or if you could direct to the appropriate forum for this advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.

Sheri

Comments (6)

• exoticrainforest
    14 years ago

Hi Sheri! If the plant is truly Monstera deliciosa it isn't a Philodendron at all. The genus Monstera contains 33 to 36 or so species depending on the scientific source quoted. There are many scientific names in the genus but almost all have been sunk into synonymy with a much smaller number of accepted species names.

It sounds as if you've done your homework already since you know the name of the botanist that originally published the plant or at least his abbreviated name so I'd say you actually have that species. Monstera deliciosa has a number of natural variations and some produce leaves that remain very small for the entire life of the plant. I was recently given a cutting from a 20 year old plant the the largest leaves weren't 12 inches wide.

Philodendron is a very large genus with something close to 1000 species divided into three major sections but that is a totally different discussion. The same common name is used for Philodendron bipinnatifidum (P selloum) since it has multi-lobed leaf margins (edges). Even if the plant were P. bipinnatifidum the growth method is basically the same.

It sounds as if your growing conditions are good for Monstera deliciosa since it is very tolerant. I doubt you can over water it since it naturally grows along steam banks in southern Mexico and most of Central America. However, the soil mixture may not be good for this species.

Monstera require a very fast draining soil so if you have it in Mississippi clay the roots may not be able to freely grow and gather water and nourishment. The other possible cause would be either lack of or over fertilization. Either is just as bad. Most commercial growers prefer something like Osmocote 30-30-30 for large aroids.

If the soil is good I'd try the fertilizer first. If the soil has not been amended I would suggest you mix a large quantity of moisture control potting soil with about 20% peat moss and add a BUNCH of cypress mulch. If you can find a bag of cheap orchid bark with charcoal add that as well along with any compost you can find.

I know it may be a big job but if you dig the plant up and replant it in this mix it should begin to thrive.

My big question is the weather in your area. Although Monstera deliciosa will likely survive, it will be temporarily stunted by extreme cold. The species is not know to do great much north of Orlando so keep that in mind.

You can shield it from the cold during any really cold nights but try to keep it from long exposure.

You should know this species craves to climb. I have several large specimens in my own atrium and one is now 10 feet up the nearest tree. I've seen them in the tropics and in South Florida at least 50 feet into the canopy and have read of them climbing much higher.

Other than that, without photos to examine I'm not sure what other advice to offer.

• sjcfnp
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I can't be certain of the species and genus. I will attempt to post a photo sometime today. It could very well be the soil. I re potted them shortly after I rec'd them and the soil they were in was very dark, dense, and saturated and I mixed this potting soil with avg moisture control potting soil. I will certainly try your recommendation.

Thanks a bunch :)

• sjcfnp
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, I can't seem to figure out how to post an image in this forum... Maybe a link will work.

This is the healthy one

Here is a link that might be useful: healthy philo

• dellis326 (Danny)
    14 years ago

There's a "V" in your link that doesn't belong there.
    To anyone trying to view the link, Delete the v at the very begining of the URL in the address bar.

• exoticrainforest
    14 years ago

Thanks for the fix sjcfnp! I would have tried this one forever before figuring out the problem with the link.

The plant appears to be a juvenile Philodendron bipinnatifidum (selloum is the more common name). The yellow looks like "sunburn" but I've only seen the plant grown in Florida in direct sunlight in order to see that happen. If it is in semi-shade we have to be looking for another cause.

This species is one of the most forgiving there is. It loves sandy soil which is why it does great in South Florida. I would suggest you try the mixture I suggested but add around 20% sand to the mix. P. bipinnatifidum is a Meconostigma and can tolerate very dry conditions for long periods of time. I've read stories of it lasting for up to 9 months with no water but the story didn't end well for he plant!

While Monstera delicosa lives well with damp roots this won't do well if kept soggy so back off the water and allow it to dry. Also repot it in a very porous mix. Don't fertilize it until it begins to show new growth and recover. At that time give it some Osmocote 30-30-30 following the manufacturer's directions.

This is a "tree Philodendron" which means it can stand alone but not forever. Eventually the stem (the main axis of the plant) is going to fall over onto the ground. That's OK since it will begin to grow sideways but it will eventually look sad. If you can plant it near a tree it loves to climb. I've seen them way up in the canopy in Florida and have a photo of the species on my website from Brazil with a plant climbing more than 100 feet into the trees. Many websites say this plant won't climb but I don't think those folks have ever been to South Florida or Brazil!

Other than that, I think this will very likely solve the problem. Have fun watching it grow!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Philodendron bipinnatifidum

• sjcfnp
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is a better photo. Thank you for the advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:393076}}

Sponsored