Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering inside suggestions

Posted by green_thumb_guy Z5 Ont (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 12:54

I live in a zone 5 climate north of the border and we are nearing the end of our growing season very shortly.
I have been growing Alocasias and Calocasias over the summer.

Many of my plants are still in 1 gal pots which started as plugs.
Calidora, Nancy's Revenge, Jack's Giant, gigantea, Borneo giant, Mojito

I have some black stem and Lime Zinger that are planted in the ground

I tried searching in the forum for clear overwintering instructions for newbies.
I am familiar with overwintering Brugmansia - have an extensive collection.

Can anyone provide me with some direction

Jeff :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering inside suggestions

Hi green_thumb_guy,
Finding clear instructions is difficult because of all the variables and differing techniques involved. Here's my two cents, others techniques and opinions will differ.

Alocasia x calidora is a cross of A. odora x A. gageana. A. odora is evergreen per efloras FOC. I don't know about A. gageana so it's probably best to keep this one growing. I don't know if A. 'Borneo Giant' goes dormant or is evergreen.

Xanthosoma 'Lime Zinger' and the Colocasia you mention do go dormant.

The smaller the tuber, corm or rhizome the shorter the dormancy period they can survive. For smaller tubers I try to extend the growing period in the fall and start them early in the spring. Large tubers,... survive the 6 month dormancy.

Here's what I do.
Smaller plants in ground are dug and potted. I can grow all small potted into December by moving into sunny unheated porch in mid October and moving to basement (with lights) a few weeks latter. I water well before moving to porch then VERY lightly thereafter. By mid/late December I withold water and let them go dormant (DRY and as dark as possible). Late March/early April I move them to a warmer part of the basement with light, but still DRY. LIGHT watering/heavy misting a week or so later. When they SHOW NEW GROWTH I lightly water regularly but NOT BEFORE.

Larger tubers, ... I let dry and store in boxes in a cool, dark and dry location.

o
RE: Overwintering inside suggestions

Hey man
I just pot my taro up (that arent potted up anyways), and grow them on inside all winter. I have some alocasia ordora, and they do excellent in a very bright room. Plain ole Colocasia esculenta does well that way too. They get much larger if you let them grow over the winter, in my experience.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here