Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ces797

Colocasia Esculenta - Black Magic (Is it time yet?!?!)

ces797
15 years ago

Hello

I purchased my first EE late this summer and it has grown quite a bit since then (it was just a little thing when I got it so it's not as big and majestic as what I've seen but it's on it's way!) My question is that I have read over and over again that I should wait until the first frost kills the top foliage before I cut off the leaves and dig the corm and store it for the winter. Only problem is after a first frost and a supposed "killing forst" last night it is still green. It's still somewhat growing...but VERY slowly. The new growth you see in the picture link has looked like that for several weeks now. Can I just dig it and store it now or should I just keep it outside until the foliage dies back?

Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Elephant Ear

Comments (2)

• greenelbows1
    15 years ago

Do you have a nice big window indoors you could put it in? It's not a plant that HAS to go dormant--just will if it gets too cold. If you can give it good light indoors it will grow--slowly of course--all winter, which will give it a head-start next spring. Needs as much light as you can give it.

• rainydaywoman_z8
    15 years ago

I usually let mine die back, but this year I brought them all inside and have them under lights in my kitchen. They look great, like big houseplants, and I'm interested in seeing how large I can get them to grow.

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County