Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imcuban2

Can anyone idea this plant for me?

imcuban2
18 years ago

I am sorry for posting this in this forum but I really want to what kind of plant this is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of the plant

Comments (14)

• nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
    18 years ago

It looks like a castor bean, but I would need to see pictures of the seed pods to be absolutely sure.

• bihai
    18 years ago

Pretty definitely looks like a castor bean to me too. One of the pics does have a good show of the seed pod.

• keiko2
    18 years ago

Yes, and more specifically, that's Ricinus zanzibariensis also known as Giant Castor Bean "Zanzibar".

Keiko

• bihai
    18 years ago

Hummm....at the risk of sounding like a smart aleck (which I am NOT trying to do) what makes it a Giant Castor Bean?

Its pretty small compared to the "Carmencitas" I grow every year that attain a height of 16-20 feet. Is it leaf size? The leaves do look larger than mine, but in overall plant stature that's a dwarf compared to mine.

• cactusfreak
    18 years ago

Whatever it is I love the way the leaves form the circle. I would like to trade or get seeds for postage. Thanks

• bihai
    18 years ago

Cactusfreak you can get a packet of Castor Bean seeds for 79 cents at Home Depot or Lowes

• keiko2
    18 years ago

Bihai,
    I think they call it Giant to indicate its size relative to the other species. It's the largest of the genus and vigorous enough to quickly outstrip the others growing under the same conditions and climate. I would never expect one in Chicago to reach anywhere near the size it would in Florida or even Dallas.

Keiko

• bihai
    18 years ago

Whoops didn't see it was from Chi-town. Sorry.

• cactusfreak
    18 years ago

We don't have that variety here. I have the common one. (Ricinus communis) I planted it once and it returns from seed each year. I got my seeds 50 for $1.00 through our market bulletin.
    It just doesn't have the circle effect of the leaves and the one I have is more serrated on the edges.

• bihai
    18 years ago

If you want to try the red one (Carmencita) I will send you some seeds after they ripen. The pods are on the plants now. The stems are bright red and the new leaves open reddish with red veins, then revert to a red-tinged green with red veins. Altogether a very striking plant. I have them planted out by the road as you approach my gate and they are the first plant everyone always asks about

• cactusfreak
    18 years ago

Bihai, thank you I would like some seeds. I have seeds of yellow hibiscus if you would like some.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Select Seeds sells castor bean (ricinus zanzibariensis) as well as Carmencita and a brand new hybrid called Carmencita Rose. The seeds are between $2.65 and $2.75 a packet. I imagine you only get a few, but with the new hybrid, it might be worth it. They have a website at www.selectseeds.com, and you can sign up for their free 2006 catalog that you will get in January.

Susan

• russ_fla
    18 years ago

For those with kids planning on planting this, no one mentioned that castor bean is highly poisonous. Ricin, extracted from this particular plant, is one of the most deadly poisons on the planet.
    Russ

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Yes, all parts of the plant, including the seeds are poisonous, like datura. So make sure children do not have access to this plant, especially very young ones who like to put things in their mouths. I have a small granddaughter and grow datura, but she is now 4 and so far has shown no interest in this plant at all. But, I will continue to monitor when she is outside near it.

They are very, very easy to grow. Some people suggest nicking or soaking the seed prior to planting, but I just stick them in the ground anywhere without even preparing the soil - in the middle of a patch of bermuda grass and they'll grow just fine.

IMO, the red one is the coolest one, especially the seed pods.
    Susan

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals